Visit Open-E website

Thread: OPEN-E DSS FC initiator with MPIO driver support?

Default OPEN-E DSS FC initiator with MPIO driver support?

I have a Dell server with two FC HBA. I would like to know if Open-E supports MPIO (mpp.conf) for connecting to external SAN storage arrays which MPIP driver is required please. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

JMC

Yes.

http://www.open-e.com/library/webcasts-and-videos/
    --Storage Solutions with Mutlipathing FC Targets with Microsoft
    --Storage Solutions with Mutlipathing FC Targets with VMware

Thanks. But your answer is for "target" from DSS LUN represented to the OS client's MPIO compatibility.
    My question of MPIO was the DSS' FC hba initiator mode "dual" path driver MPP "multi path". This is very common for Linux OS FC SAN connected to external storage arrays with dual controllers.

Thanks.
    jmc

This is noted on our release notes that we do not support FC in initiator mode with the DSS V6 but we are working on this the best ETA we can give is in Q1 of next year but it could change as there are other projects that have higher priority and more demand.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks for the information. That explains our issue.

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    This is noted on our release notes that we do not support FC in initiator mode with the DSS V6 but we are working on this the best ETA we can give is in Q1 of next year but it could change as there are other projects that have higher priority and more demand.
    Can you clarify this (which release notes are you referring to?). I am in a similar position as the original poster. I have a dell poweredge 2800 with dual QLogic HBA's connected to a Fibre SAN. I want to use the Open-E DSS to present that Fibre SAN Storage as an iSCSI target. From the comparison chart at http://www.open-e.com/download/libra..._file/view/18/
    It specifies that "Multiple FibreChannel HBA Support (initiator mode)" is listed as a feature for DSS v6.

Within the open-e software I see the SAN volumes but I see two of them (as I would expect since I have 2 paths to each volume on the SAN). Are you saying that multipathing is not working or that FC initiator is not working? If I was to only have 1 path can I safely use the FC initiator?

thanks

MPIO works in the DSS V6 Target mode only - cut from the release notes below.

- MPIO mode with FC HBA's in INITIATOR mode does not work. MPIO will function in FC TARGET mode. Only QLOGIC FC HBA's are supported in TARGET mode
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube