Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LSI 9265-8i

Quote Originally Posted by sale_u123
    I think that you can't do it from Open-E interface.
    SMART status in Open-E is available only for directly attached HDDs (without any RAID controller in between). Or, when RAID controller is working in IT mode (without any RAID functions).

Use LSI MegaRaid Storage Manager for checking of HDDs status and their health.
    I agree with sale_u123, I reckon the moment you'll get SMART error , LSI card will mark that drive as "predictive failure".

Quote Originally Posted by piotrp
    Hi,
    Thanks for support about battery.
    But I still have questions about SMART. I asked LSI about SMART monitoring using their tools and they recomended using third party tool like smartmontools. Do you use it for SMART monitoring of S/W RAID drives ? I saw a manual for smartmontools and there is a possibility to check SMART status of drive used by MegaRAID controller (option "-d megaraid").
    Will it work ? Can it be added to console like a tool or something? I don't think it is much work to do as tool exists.

Link for manual:
    http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net...martctl.8.html
    I believe that Open-E has got MegaCLI build in hence you can create / delete LSI arrays from the WebGUI (h/w raid sub-menu). Here you can find more information about The MegaRAID Command Tool (CT) is a command line interface (CLI) application for
    SAS - http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/...6-01_Rev_J.pdf (Chapter #5)

Quote Originally Posted by marcinrozanski
    I believe that Open-E has got MegaCLI build in hence you can create / delete LSI arrays from the WebGUI (h/w raid sub-menu). Here you can find more information about The MegaRAID Command Tool (CT) is a command line interface (CLI) application for
    SAS - http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/...6-01_Rev_J.pdf (Chapter #5)
    Hello,
    I was not asking about MegaCLI. I have checked that "smartmontools" in newest version is able to check SMART status at each drive connected to controller. It works under CentOS 6 and MegaRAID driver version 5.3. I am asking about that functionality in Open-e DSS as tools exists.

Sorry to bring up an older post, but has there been a resolution to the battery issue? We're also experiencing it (but with the Intel branded version of the card - RS25DB080).
    MJP Technologies - Intel Technology Provider Platinum Member

latest build of DSSV6(5845) can sense the BBU with LSI chipset.
    What version of DSSV6 and controller firmware are you using? The intel OEM may not have the latest from LSI yet.

Default No BBU is seen :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Gr-R
    latest build of DSSV6(5845) can sense the BBU with LSI chipset.
    What version of DSSV6 and controller firmware are you using? The intel OEM may not have the latest from LSI yet.
    Hi Team,
    this is not correct. We have the same issue with the 2nd Generation of LSI controllers on open-e DSS6. A BBU ist installed, but open-e didn't see it. We have installed DSSV6(5845) and with the latest firmware on the LSI MegaRAID SAS 9285-8e (Ver. 23.1.1-0004).

We got the information: "There is no BBU currently installed in you system or your BBU has failed. Write Through Cache will be enabled which may decrease overall write performance. In order to disable Write Through Cache please disable Write Through for failed/missing BBU."

With the LSI MegaRID SAS 9261, ther is no issue.

Any idea?
    Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Reiner

Reiner:

We do have an open support case going on. If you connect with LSI MegaRAID Storage Manager or Intel RAID Web Console 2 directly to your Open-E server, it will show the battery (and the log files report it as well).

Hopefully there will be a resolution soon.

If you want to verify that your battery is functional, and the volume(s) is/are in Write Back mode (assuming you have it enabled w/BBU), you should connect with MSM or RWC2.
    MJP Technologies - Intel Technology Provider Platinum Member

update:

The issue here is that the CLI tool returns results in different ways depending on the LSI controller type, or OEM chipset.
    If the BBU is not showing in the DSS V6 GUI, using the MSM is the best option at this point to check its status.
    For some cards it will work as expected.

Thanks both for your feedback.

Best regards,
    Reiner