Visit Open-E website

Thread: Software raid with SSD

Default Software raid with SSD

Hello!
    I have plans to build 1TB SSD ISCSI storage with sync. failover.
    I think i could use Open-E SW raid5 or raid6 or even raid50, raid60 if it is possible.

Question is, how well SSD are working with Open-E SW raid ? Any experience ?
    Does Open-E support Raid 50 & 60 ?

Thanks!

Lightbulb

I strongly recommend using a real hardware RAID controller instead of software RAID. You'll get much better performance, which is obviously what you're going for if you're choosing SSDs.

I've used SSDs with Open-E without too much trouble. On several of our systems, we have SSDs used for read-caching hot data (done through our RAID controller).

Quote Originally Posted by Robotbeat
    I've used SSDs with Open-E without too much trouble. On several of our systems, we have SSDs used for read-caching hot data (done through our RAID controller).
    Have you used the LSI cachecade product? Looking at upgrading to that soon and was wondering if anybody has it in production.

Thanks!

Here some extra reading and results in case you all wanted to see them.

http://blog.open-e.com/what-you-can-expect-from-ssd-2/

For this link go to the bottom of the page and click on the test 1 and test 2:
    """Some benchmarks made with CacheCade with single SSD show over 40.000 IOPS and with two SSD even over 80.000 IOPS (see interesting test 1 and test 2 results).""

http://www.open-e.com/solutions/how-...imultaneously/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Todd,

Thanks for that link. Think SSD's in front of the raid array are the way to go. Was hoping to talk to someone who actually had one of these in production to see if they had any issues.

Hello everyone, I am Michael Babula.... Want some important information and hope to get some more useful information here..