Visit Open-E website

Thread: Perdormance down on last build

Default Perdormance down on last build

Hello, I've just updated our SAN with the last build where irqbalance work properly. No changes had been done to config and I see a performance down in all our dd tests over iscsi. Looking at logs I can see this performance decrease too:

This are the hdparm values before the update:
    *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
    hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 1682 MB in 3.00 seconds = 560.45 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

hdparm -t /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 800 MB in 3.02 seconds = 264.71 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:

hdparm -t /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 742 MB in 3.01 seconds = 246.87 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:

hdparm -t /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 1576 MB in 3.00 seconds = 524.89 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:

hdparm -t /dev/sdf

/dev/sdf:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 544 MB in 3.00 seconds = 181.13 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sdf

/dev/sdf:

hdparm -t /dev/sde

/dev/sde:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 800 MB in 3.00 seconds = 266.63 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sde

/dev/sde:

And this are the ones after the update:

hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 1504 MB in 3.00 seconds = 501.24 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

hdparm -t /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 1556 MB in 3.01 seconds = 516.39 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:

hdparm -t /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 824 MB in 3.00 seconds = 274.56 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:

hdparm -t /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 746 MB in 3.00 seconds = 248.45 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:

hdparm -t /dev/sde

/dev/sde:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 284 MB in 3.00 seconds = 94.51 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sde

/dev/sde:

hdparm -t /dev/sdf

/dev/sdf:
    Timing buffered disk reads: 632 MB in 3.01 seconds = 210.01 MB/sec

hdparm -i /dev/sdf

/dev/sdf:

Any ideas? Controller is Adaptec 6805. I was expecting the opposite to this situacion.

Regards

@mikep, please trim down your posts... there is a lot of whitespace/"bumpf" in your posting which could have been trimmed to make the post more readable and consise.

The hdparm tool can show the read performance speed but it varies depending on
    the current system load.
    A better way to test the performance will be to use the disk performance test
    tool from the DSS V6 console which use "dd" command to gather the measurement
    results to see how fast your RAID unit works. Don't do the write performance
    tests as they are only possible on a RAID unit where no vg is created.
    To access the disk performance tool from the DSS V6 console, press ctrl + alt +
    W -> System benchmarks -> Disk performance test.

You can have a look at some of our KB articles about RAID performance tuning:

Information on Configuring for Optimal RAID Performance
    http://kb.open-e.com/Information-on-...ance_1323.html

System performance, and RAID BIOS settings.
    http://kb.open-e.com/System-performa...ings_1283.html

Quote Originally Posted by To-P
    The hdparm tool can show the read performance speed but it varies depending on
    the current system load.
    A better way to test the performance will be to use the disk performance test
    tool from the DSS V6 console which use "dd" command to gather the measurement
    results to see how fast your RAID unit works. Don't do the write performance
    tests as they are only possible on a RAID unit where no vg is created.
    To access the disk performance tool from the DSS V6 console, press ctrl + alt +
    W -> System benchmarks -> Disk performance test.

You can have a look at some of our KB articles about RAID performance tuning:

Information on Configuring for Optimal RAID Performance
    http://kb.open-e.com/Information-on-...ance_1323.html

System performance, and RAID BIOS settings.
    http://kb.open-e.com/System-performa...ings_1283.html
    Thanks for your information.
    Could you please give some suggestion about how to optimize the Areca ARC-1680 / ARC-1880 series RAID Card ?

Best Regards!