Visit Open-E website

Thread: Failback after failure of secondary

Default Failback after failure of secondary

Hi,

we have some problems regarding our iscsi multipath implementation with open-e.
    We have 2 nodes for iscsi multipathing and failover. We lost the logical volume in node2 (secondary). We have replaced two disks and rebuild the array.

Now the primary can't replicate to the secondary node. I guess this is because the id of the logical volume has changed.

The support has adviced me to do the following steps:

>To failback your system, all you need is to do the following:
    >
    >1 Stop the Auto Failover service on the Primary and Secondary
    >2 Stop and Delete the Volume Replication Tasks on the Primary
    >3 Disable the Replication feature for the Volume in the Volume Manger
    >4 Create the Volume Replication Task for the Source Volume to the
    >Destination
    >5 Start the Auto Failover service

As far as i understand the support documents, these steps will cause our storage to fail since the virtual ip between these nodes will get inactive if i stop the failover service.

Is there any way to replicate the primary to the secondery without taking down the whole storage? We use the storage for virtualization and taking down the storage for maintenance and waiting for replication isn't the solution "enterprise" storage should offer.

I'm glad for every hint to get things back to normal.

i belive that you can remove and recreate the volume replication without stopping the failover service - worked for me some time ago, but you will have to stop failover on some point anyway, to add the recreated volume to it.
    or
    stop the service, recreate replication and start again, without waiting for it to finish - although im not sure if it will allow it

the point in stopping the failover service is only so that you can add or remove volume from it.