Visit Open-E website

Thread: Adding a second array to iSCSI failover pair.

Default Adding a second array to iSCSI failover pair.

Hi,

I have two Open-E nodes, one with a 6.2TB array and one with a 10TB array. I currently have setup iSCSI failover between the two nodes, with one 6.2TB volume and one 1GB volume. I would like to do the following:

Add another storage array to my first node (about 3TB in size) and setup iSCSI failover for a 3TB volume between the two nodes. Is this possible?

Thanks for any advice!

If are going to increase the size of your volume group, please make sure that you do it in the following order:

1). Apply appropriate Storage extension Key or make sure that your currect license key valid also for the storage size after the LUN size extension,
    2). expand the LUN size using the H/W RAID tools(RAID migration)
    3). Perform "Unit rescan" (DSS webgui -> CONFIGURATION ->volume manager -> Vol. groups)
    4). PV Resize (DSS Console -> ctrl + alt + X -> 11. PV Resize)
    5). Reboot;

In case you are using trial version, you don't have to apply the storage extension key because trail version is for unlimited storage.

If you plan to add a new Hardware RAID to DSS V6 it would be better to create a secondary volume group and then create new logical volumes on it. It's because it will give you better reliability. If one of the arrays fails, only one volume group will be not available.

After the new volume group is created please make sure that you have logical volumes with exactly the same size on both nodes to be able to setup the volume replication tasks.

Please also have on your mind that it's not possible to add a new volume replication task to Failover without stopping it. There is a small update that extend the functionality and allows to add new replication to a running Failover but it's working only for iSCSI volume replication tasks.
    If you would like to get this small update please report that through our user portal.