Visit Open-E website

Thread: Testing attached USB media.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Albury, New South Wales, Australia, Earth

Default Testing attached USB media.

Hi all,

Just a quick question, both my DSS V6 SANS boot off USB sticks. I was wondering how can I run a "test" of the USB stick to ensure it's ok, my SANS have been online for almost a year now without a reboot etc. I know I will have to bounce them to update DSS to the latest, but want to just make sure the USB sticks are ok before I drop them and not have one come back.

Is there a way to run a "disk check" on them?

Cheers
    Adam

The USB stick with DSS V6 uses vfat so the easiest way to check if they are ok will be to plug them in to an ordinary Windows PC and run the file system check (chkdsk).

Albury, New South Wales, Australia, Earth

Quote Originally Posted by To-P
    The USB stick with DSS V6 uses vfat so the easiest way to check if they are ok will be to plug them in to an ordinary Windows PC and run the file system check (chkdsk).
    But that means downtime, and if it is pooched a dead DSS machine.
    Is there a way via the GUI or via console.
    I think my secondary node has a USB stick that is dead/dying, but there isn't any errors or the like to tell?

Cheers
    Adam

Unfortunately the build in file system repair tool that can be used from DSS V6 console works only for XFS file system which is used on NAS logical volumes. There is no vfat file system verification/repair tool in DSS V6.

As workaround you can prepare a new USB memory stick with a trial version of DSS V6.
    Download the 'Setup' and 'Configuration' from DSS V6 webgui -> MAINTENANCE -> miscellaneous and save them locally on a host. Now you can unplug the old DSS V6 USB stick and boot your server from the new stick and import the settings.

BR,
    Tomek

Default Problem like this

Hi,

One of my Nas servers isn't responding to the webconsole, so i cannot make a "back-up" of the configuration.
    I've made some changes in the last days (added some VM's).
    When i reboot from a clean usbstick, i lose the machines?

Thanks for the answer,

John

Pi-L Guest

Only network and administration settings are kept on DSS medium (usb in this case)

All data and system volume with configuration is kept on storage, so it is not affected when you change DSS medium.