Visit Open-E website

Thread: Switch between active/pasive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Switch between active/pasive

Is there a procedure described, how to switch two failover servers (active/pasive to pasive/active), without disconect virtual IP addresses?

Disk array on secondary server will be upgraded with SSD “cache” and this array will be (I suppose) much faster, so it should be better as primary server array.

You can do a manual failover to have status like this:
    Primary /Passive; Secondary /Active

OK, there is a mistake in my question.
    Better is: how to change nodes between two failover servers (Primary/Secundary to Secundary/Primary).
    Is it possible without disconect virtual IP addresses?

For this to happen you will need o stop the Failover Service and stop the Volume Replication tasks and switch them there positions from Source to Destination and Destination to Source then proceed with the Failover service to set there positions.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

So, my VM hosts are connected to DSS, using RoundRobin and virtual IPs. They are and should be in production all the time (this in my target in this debate!).

Before stop the Failover Service, physical IPs of primary DSS must be added on hosts to connect iSCSI targets. In this short time, all paths are active (I/O). It is not safe to configure paths using Virtual and Physical addresses together for longer period, but for this short time, I think, it is “usable”?

After stop the Failover Service, virtual IP addresses are not active, so targets are connected via physical IPs.
    If I understand Volume Replication, there is "the very identical" data on Source and Destination Volumes, if they are consistent, of course.
    If it is true, physical IPs addresses of Secondary DSS can be added on hosts to connect iSCSI targets. "When running Volume Replication the destination volumes are not available while they are selected as destination volume, so forget all this "
    After all paths are active (I/O), paths of the Primary DSS must be removed, ASAP. Hosts are connected only to Secondary DSS, now.
    Only now we can switch the Volume Replication tasks off.
    Old Secondary DSS “becomes to New Primary” and it is active and connected to VM hosts.
    Is there something that I have missed?

Now follows a new Volume Replication and Failover setup.

Must I “clear metadata” on NewPrimary after switch positions from Destination to Source?
    Last edited by Toni Bizjak; 02-16-2012 at 03:29 PM.

For clearing the metadata, and changing secondary to be primary, please find the following Forum post that can help you:
    http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.php?t=1493