Visit Open-E website

Thread: What is considered "LAN" speed?

Thread has average rating 5.00 / 5.00 based on 1 votes.
Thread has been visited 6643 times.

Default What is considered "LAN" speed?

Hi,
    I am just in the proccess of testing and have a question about LAN replication speed.
    It mentions in the feautre list that the full version supports Syncronous Volume Replication over LAN.

We run a gig LAN in our office but have a 100mb LAN extention to our hosting centre where I would like to put the secondary device.
    Is 100mb fast enough for replication or is gig the only considered LAN speed these days?

I am running 2 x Xen Servers attached via iSCSI and plan to run around 10 servers between them. (and eventually another Xen in the hosting center for failover)
    I will be looking to replicate around 6tb of storage although file share useage etc is not that high.
    thanks
    Newpond

For myself, "LAN speed" doesn't refer to the connection speed but rather the connection latency. A 10Mb/s connection with a <1ms latency would be worth a lot more than 1 Gb/s connection with a 10ms latency.

{a simple Latency measure is to use PING. While not a perfect measure, it is good enough}

is it a small b or big B ? i mean is your LAN using gig as 1Gb and the other as 100Mb or 100MB ( b= bit, B= Byte ).
    As in general 1Gb = 125MB (assuming the Byte = 8 bits ).

My latency is <1ms and I mean 100Mb with a small b

thanks

We run a gig LAN in our office but have a 100mb LAN extention to our hosting centre where I would like to put the secondary device.
    Is 100mb fast enough for replication or is gig the only considered LAN speed these days?
    This is a tough one to answer, as so many things can affect the Volume replication. Keep in mind it is Synchronous.
    Consider the following:
    1- How are the Xen servers connected to the storage? single path, bond, or MPIO
    2- How fast are the RAID controllers?
    3- How much data(changes) to the source volume is going to happen?

The reason I bring this up, is due to the way synchronous replication works. If the traffic is heavy(or the path is slow), IO on the source will be slowed down.
    My suggestion is to test this scenario with the trial version.

OK Thanks.
    Testing looks like the way forward.
    I am a little confused though (and probably for another thread) but I have installed the lite version on both the boxes and regsitered for lite keys. I cant see anywhere to now use the trial. Do i have to wipe the boxes and start again with out applying the lite keys?

cheers

Do i have to wipe the boxes and start again with out applying the lite keys?
    Correct, just do a re-install