Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install problems - Warning No units found

Default install problems - Warning No units found

Hi there

I have just installed 6.0up45.8101.4622 64bit from cd onto an older Dell 1850 with Perc controller dated 2004 (perc 4?)
    Before installation I created 2GB and 130GB LVM partitions with volume groups on them. There is no facility to create volume groups in the Perc Controller, one can only create arrays. So I had to go through the motions of setting up Centos to create the volume groups. (Wouldn't it be possible to add an LVM managed to DSS? It would save a lot of hassle).

During installation I was prompted to install dss on either the 2GB or 130GB partitions. After installation however (when booting from drive), the system says "no units found". ie the 130GB LVM group is missing

Is this because I have a trial version of the software? I don't think I have the "Lite" version.

Best
    Dude

it's a Perc 4e/Si controller btw.

Best
    Dude

also, I have not applied any trial license key. Do I need to and if so where can I get one?

Best
    Dude

The build you are trying to test is kind old now as we already have up90.xxx in the mean time, and it contains many updates, you can get the latest build directly from our website, and when you install it, it will ask you "try" or " buy" choose try and you will get the license key for the trial build, and for PERC, you can use the LSI storage manager, as the PERC controllers use LSI chipsets.

hi there,

Many thanks. Is it because I haven't applied a trial license key then that it can't see the raid array?

Best
    Dude

You need to apply the Trial license key or a full license key that you can purchase from our website, to allow the system to work fine.
    If you had used the Trial on the system before, and the trial get expired, to get another trial (another 60 days of trial time ) you need to install DSS on a new system.

Default still the same with the new version

hi there

I just downloaded the trial, burnt it, obtained a key and installed it. The DSS software recognised the full 132GB raid array and installed itself from cd onto it. It then boots from the raid array. Yet again in:

CONFIGURATION -> volume manager -> Vol. group

it says "no units found" but gives no option to create any.

Would it be possible to build in an option to create an LVM volume from the GUI? This would save a lot of time I feel. I watched the youtube video in which you guys create a volume array using the RAID contoller, but mine doesn't have that option. I am having to resort to installing Centos from CD in order to create volume arrays which are still not recognised by DSS.

I've probably spent six hours on this so far.

Best
    Dude

From the RAID controller BIOS, all you need to do is create a RAID array, and if possible a bootable partition(2GB) to install DSS V6 on to. If you cant do this, boot from another drive, or USB, etc...
    Volume groups and Logical volumes can be created from the webGUI.
    The problem you are having is most likely an unsupported RAID Controller(PERC4).
    'No units found' is because DSS V6 is not seeing the RAID array.

hi there, many thanks, but as I say, I have already a) created the RAID array and b) installed dss onto it (using at various times 2GB and then 132GB partitions). I can boot DSS from the array, ie with no CD in the drive. During installation the DSS installer sees the array and asks me to install DSS onto it, which I do.

If DSS can install itself onto the array then why can't it see other volumes on the array? Is this again due to the Perc4 controller?

Many thanks
    Dude

good point...
    have you tried like this:
    --2GB partition for DSS V6 install.
    --the rest of the array, un-formatted.

do the install, and then create the volume group(VG00) from the DSS V6 webGUI, then create logical units, also in the webGUI