Visit Open-E website

Thread: iSCSI synchornous volume replication over Fibre

Default iSCSI synchornous volume replication over Fibre

I have been testing the open-e software now for a while and so far like what I see.

I have two DSS v6 boxes setup using block level replication with the Virtual IP failover configured on each replication set (I have 6 sets).

The volumes are presented as iSCSI targets to 3 servers (2 sets per server)

I currently am running synchronous volume replication over a dedicated gigabit ethernet link and this is working fine. However, I am wondering if it is possible to have the volume replication task done over a Fiber network?

We have an existing Fibre network and I'm wondering if I can use that for replication instead of trying to get additional media converters or switches to channel a number of gigabit ethernet port together? I want to grow the storage and add many more replication sets and want to make sure that I have enough bandwidth to handle that. I think I would if I could somehow utilize my existing fibre network for replication.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

thanks,

Currenty, Volume Replication over fiber is not supported.
    Look for this later next year.

Unfortunately it's not possible to use FC connection for the volume replication.
    You can only use 10GB NICs or IP over infiniband for the volume replication link.

You can find this useful video: http://vimeo.com/19118233
    that you can do "Volume Replication (Fiber Channel, iSCSI and NAS Volumes)", and you need to use Ethernet NIC card of Infibiand to do it, and you cant use "Fibre Channel network cards " for that.