Visit Open-E website

Thread: 2 RAIDs, 1 enclosure, are 2 independent direct FC connections possible?

Default 2 RAIDs, 1 enclosure, are 2 independent direct FC connections possible?

I have striped a 24-bay supermicro enclosure, as 2 x 12 drive RAID 5s. I have made 2 volume groups in open-e and can access the volumes from both ports on the q-logic HBA.

My problem is it is possible to see both LUNs from either fibre port, and I want to 'hide' them so one channel on the HBA is only mapped to 1 target RAID. Effectively acting as 2 completely independent units. Although this setup works, I'm using it with Macs and speaking from experience the permissions associated with this will definitely cause major issues.

I tried to create some groups in FC target manager - but open-e will not let me add group volumes, saying no FC groups are available, despite letting me create WWN aliases. The Default group is the only one that seems to work, and that does not permit mapping these WWN aliases.

Im completely stuck. Can anyone help me? Is what I am doing even possible using open e?

I'm so close, yet so far!

Thanks

Mark

I managed to work out how to remove the LUNs from a default FC target manager group, and create and reassign them to the new groups.

My problem now is when I create an FC WWN alias using the initiators Node WWN in open e, the FC target group assigned is not visible. If I remove it from this group and place it back in the default group it is visible - but I am back to my original problem of seeing both RAID sets.

It looks like it is something to do with the public nature of the default FC group that ensures it works in this mode. I thought maybe I typed my WWN's in incorrectly when making the alias, so I ended up copying and pasting them directly from the initiator, so I know they are correct. There is just nothing visible on the fibre target in anything other than the default group. The HBAs are happy no auto negotiate to a 4Gb Arbitrated Loop config with or without a visible fibre target.

I've run out of ideas now.

Anyone? Please???

From FC target manager, you can find option called Group, and on the side you can see Group Default, and it's a public group. If some WWN belongs to another group than public, then this WWN will not have access to this public group and only will have access to the group where it's assigned to.

And more detailed steps at the Manual at page 126, Manual can be found at : http://www.open-e.com/service-and-su...loads/manuals/

Also find the following KB that contains some links that might help you:
    http://kb.open-e.com/How-to-connect-...target_17.html

Thanks Al

Got it working now - read the manual!

I made 2 mistakes - though in my defence they were logical ones!

1) Was using 20.xx WWN vs 10.xx
    2) Made alias after making FC group. Manual says make alias, then make group, then assign alias to group.

It's working as I want now and am getting 400MB/s R+W simultaneously on both ports. Good stuff...