I have an HP DL180 G6 with a p410 RAID controller and 4x 3TB drives. About the only thing the controller will allow my to do is create a single 9TB logical drive in RAID 5. There's no way to partition it any lower than this so I can't create the 2GB system drive needed to install DSS - installing on the RAID gives me a 9TB system drive and nothing for data :-)

Right now I have DSS running from a USB flash drive so I can get at the RAID, but I'm aware of the dire warning in the Quick Start guide about flash drives being unreliable. This suggested I should get either an external USB hard drive or some sort of internal hard drive for the DL180. Both of these seem like expensive options.

I've been doing a bit of reading around ReadyBoost-capable flash drives, and it seems that Microsoft reckon these should last for 10 years. Is that true? If so, should I be okay installing DSS on one of those to save me the expense and waste of getting a physical drive for the 2GB that it needs? Has anyone tried this?

I've found a 2GB HP branded ReadyBoost drive on Amazon for £4.95 that I'm keen to try!

Thanks for any advice.
Kevin