Visit Open-E website

Thread: Lost the volume on my Secondary DSS! Whats the best way to proceed ASAP?

Default Lost the volume on my Secondary DSS! Whats the best way to proceed ASAP?

Have 2 DSS's with RAID 10. The secondary DSS had a single drive go bad and immediately after that it was unable to read the source drive to do the rebuild to my hotspare. This took my secondary DSS vg0 offline! Not sure what the best way to proceed with the autofailover. I have not rebooted anything yet. In failover status its shows primary/active but status is degraded. Lost my LV and target info on the secondary DSS and can't seem to think straight. Is there a decision tree somewhere that shows what to do next after something major happens?

Thanks!
    Last edited by webguyz; 03-31-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added text

After thinking about it I will probably have to drop my virtual IP's to do this but I first must rebuild the secondary DSS volume from scratch and recreate the vg0 and the lv's and targets. I use MPIO so I will have to attach one of my MPIO connections directly to my primary DSS's ip's and keep one on the virtual ip.

Then will have to shutdown failover on the DSS primary which will drop my virtual IP but my Hypervisors should stay working with the second MPIO connection.

Then clear metadata on the primary DSS and basically start the replication task and sync my primary DSS drives to the newly rebuilt secondary DSS. Once the sync is complete I can rebuild the autofailover and get the virtual IP backup again and then finally move my MPIO connections back from the real ip of the primary DSS to the second connection of the virtual IP.

Aaarrrrgggghhhhhh

All better. The procedure I outlined above was followed and it worked perfectly. Both DSS's are up and autofailover back in service. MPIO is a butt saver when it comes to never having your customers servers down in a situation when you lose a whole volume and have to shutdown the virtual IP for a while.

When a catastrophe strikes it hard not to panic at first. Thanks for letting me vent :-)

Glad to hear that your issue is solved, that’s true, panic can let you do some mistakes, and in future in such critical issues for you, you can open a support ticket as it's one of the fastest way to get help, more than just using the forum.

You even can get a 24/7 support, for more details please visit this link:
    http://www.open-e.com/products/per-i...rt/comparison/