Visit Open-E website

Thread: Change SAN configuration

Default Change SAN configuration

Hello

I own a SAN running open-e with 20 VM hosted on ESX.
    Now i have a second Open-e SAN, and i want to install synchronous replication with failover and mpio
    (http://blog.open-e.com/wp-content/up...11/01/Mpio.pdf).

so my plan is to:
    - configure the 2nd SAN (empty now) for synchronous replication with failover and mpio
    - migrate the VM from SAN #1 to SAN #2
    - configure the 1st SAN for synchronous replication with failover and mpio
    - activate the replication

can be this correct ?

Thanks

When enabling the "volume replication" option for an existing logical volume (DSS V6 webgui -> CONFIGURATION -> volume manager -> Vol. replication -> vgxx -> volume manager) there will be a minimal downtime ( <1min), so the target will be inaccessible for ESX for a short period of time. If it's ok for you to stop the VM for about 2 minutes, you don't need to migrate the VMs to the second SAN. After you add "use volume replication" to a logical volume you can run the VM. Creating the volume replication task and starting the replication won't affect the VMs any more.

BR,
    Tomek

so i don't have to recreate a volume to use replication ?

in DSS V6 webgui -> CONFIGURATION -> volume manager -> Vol. replication -> vgxx -> volume manager
    i have only to choose action, modify lvxxx and check "use volume replication" (according to shutdown the VM)

after (when vm are online), i can finish to setup the replication task and enable it

correct ?

thanks

Pi-L Guest

Yes, correct.

Hello

As i want to setup the replication for now, when enabling the "use volume replication" on my existing volume group, i have this message : you need 0.12GB of free space for replication.

how to reclaim this free space ? so do i need to re-create my volume group ?

on this volume group test (block mode) :
    size is 264.19 GB
    SWAP : 4 GB
    reserved for snapshot : 0 GB
    reserved for system : 4 GB
    reserved for replication : 0 GB
    free : 0 GB

thanks

Pi-L Guest

Best would be to add more storage space to volume group, but if it is not an option you can remove SWAP volume and create it smaller to gain space for replication.

Is it safer to shutdown the VM before to perform this operation ?

Another question about this migration :

is the virtual IP only available on the network only when replication task is started ?

ex:
    can i setup all settings for replication (including virtual IP as target) on 1 SAN without starting replication task
    then configure the ESX initiator with the virtual IP target and run my VM ?
    and later configure a 2nd SAN for replication and then start the replication task

is the virtual IP only available on the network only when replication task is started ?
    The virtual IP is only available when the failover service is running.