Visit Open-E website

Thread: Failover in V6 what condition trigger a failover?

Default Failover in V6 what condition trigger a failover?

Hello,

I run two open e (es8700) V6 iscsi raids and configured them to do failover. The configuration is basically working.

My question is when exactly does an automatic failover from one machine to the second happen, what conditions trigger such a failover? I know that the ping node (one open-e can reach it the other one can not) is one such condition. Is it the only one, what other scenarios trigger a failover from one open-e to the second? It did not find a documentation for this question.

Thanks a lot
    Rainer

Actually even if you lose the Ping node you will not failover (being with the latest version of this years builds), you would need to lose the Ping Node and the AUX ports to have it failover. Another condition is if you have IO Errors from the controller or Array - this is noted on the releases notes, so if you have a RAID 5 and 2 drives fail this will cause a failover.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hello,

thank you very much for the answer. Can you tell since which firmware version the aux connection is also used as a criteria for doing failover? Currently I run 6.0up95.xxxx.6156 2012-04-05 b6156 . The answer is quite important for me to correctly configure the ping node(s).

Have a nice day
    Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by To-M View Post
    Actually even if you lose the Ping node you will not failover (being with the latest version of this years builds), you would need to lose the Ping Node and the AUX ports to have it failover. Another condition is if you have IO Errors from the controller or Array - this is noted on the releases notes, so if you have a RAID 5 and 2 drives fail this will cause a failover.
    If we have more than 1 array, does the primary node failover on IO errors of ANY array?

There is an option for this in the GUI.... it is very visible when setting this up.

Trigger failover on I/O errors

React only for volumes configured in failover
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Ah, yes, I see now.
    Thank you for fast answer.