Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS Boot Trouble - No LV's

Default DSS Boot Trouble - No LV's

We updated several of our SAN's this weekend, and are now having trouble with one of them.

1st Off, we did not do a backup of the setup and config.....lesson learned.

It seems that the USB Thumb drive has gone bad, would not boot. We put in a PC and did a check disk, but it did not help.

We downloaded a new ISO and now have the system booted up on a new USB drive. We copied a few of the files over from the other drive, which seems to help a little as the system knew the IP settings and what seems like the basic settings ( setup file ).

When we go to the Vol Group, we do not have any LV's. We can see the 2 Units, but they show available.

My guess is that we have to restore the Config file but am not sure of the steps I need to take from here.

I have submited a ticket to support on Friday Evening, but they have not responded yet.

Any help would be appriciated.

Jim Lund

You can restore the logical volume configuration from the console screen (CNTRL+ALT+X). If possible choose a file from before the USB failure.
    After this you may need to define a default volume group, also from console screen (CNTRL+ALT+X).

Be aware the support team does not have weekend hours. The only way to get in touch with support outside office hours would be using the after hours support number.

Default Recovered / Back Up

Thanks for the replay....I was able to get the unit backup without having to do a restore.

When we re-created the boot device, we copied some extra files that seem to have not permit it to look at lv and other parts of the config corrctly.

After watching a recent Webinar by Todd about Boot Recovery, we slowed down and redid our process of making the boot device.

We re-created the boot device.
    Copied over the product key file and the seting.cnf files only.

We booted up and things worked perfectly. All LV's working and no trouble.

Note: We had to add a key to the box and reboot because it had an expansion pack, but that was expected. It would have been nice if that key could have been placed in the product key file so we would not have to reboot.

Question:
    What file is the activation file....I did not want to take a change of copying the activation file on this attempt since we had been down for a few days.

Thanks again for the help.

Jim Lund

glad its backup and running.
    I believe the activation file is activation.xml