Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent Problem i/o ;(

using Dell 6248 with Gigabit ports. You need to make sure if using Jumbo Frames that its supported by your switch. Make sure your packets are not getting fragmented. Use something like this test from your xenservers to your DSS server ISCSI IP's: ping -M do -s 8972 -c 10 10.10.10.1 (where 10.10.10.1 is your dss ip addr) If the packets are fragmenting it will tell you, if they are ok then the repsone will be 10 normal looking ping responses.

Your Xenserver nics have to have MTU=9000 set and the same on the DSS side. On the Dell 6248 we have to set each port that we want to do Jumbo Frames to an MTU of 9016 which kicks it into Jumbo Frame mode. Check the docs for your switch to see if there is anything you have to do to enable JF's.

Hello,
    I configured the server and storage with a crossover cable card directly to the storage server .. and gives the same result.

Is this a production server? or are you in testing phase? if testing you might try using raid 10 instead of raid 5. What disk controller did you say you were using and how much cache does it have. I am assuming your using Block I/O.

Running out of ideas as to what your issue might be :-)

Quote Originally Posted by webguyz View Post
    Is this a production server? or are you in testing phase? if testing you might try using raid 10 instead of raid 5. What disk controller did you say you were using and how much cache does it have. I am assuming your using Block I/O.

Running out of ideas as to what your issue might be :-)
    Thanks for the reply.
    Look at the raid card is:

LSI MegaSAS 9260

the issue that only allows me to do raid0, 1, 5 and 6 RAID10.
    The other .. My storage has a capacity of 16 drives in raid1 2 are for the open-e system and I have raid5 array with 7 drives .. how rare such an arrangement of 7 discs I get the same performance as one with 3 disks.

and if I'm using Block I/O.

Default 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by javiercampos View Post
    Hello,
    I configured the server and storage with a crossover cable card directly to the storage server .. and gives the same result.
    My guess is that you have a 100mb crossover cable and/or the nic in your host is only negotiating at 100mb. make sure you have a gigabit switch and not just a fast Ethernet switch. If you do not have a gigabit crossover check this link on how to make one. http://logout.sh/computers/net/gigabit/. When you said you are only getting the 9.1MB/sec rates that is the full throughput of 100mb Ethernet. expect 80-90MB/sec for gigabit.

I have ten 1tb RE4 WD's in a raid 10 (~4.5 tb usable). Using a sata DOM for open-e OS. Seems a waste to use 2 drive slots just for the OS. I am using the 9260 LSI controller as well. I do have CacheCade 2.0, but I don't think that makes any difference because I was getting decent times with that that same test string even before I added the Cachecade. Cachecade really helps in speeding up all the websites so they are snappy and respond quickly.

Please check the following PDF at : http://www.open-e.com/download/libra..._file/get/131/
    that will show you steps how to install DSSv6 on USB/DOM or storage LUN, as you can install DSSv6 on your storage disks, by creating a LUN with size of 2GB, then install DSSv6 on that LUN, in this way you can get red of the DOM/USB flash memory and save more slots.

Also we recommend you to use the latest builds of DSSv6 as it contain the latest drivers for your hardware.