Visit Open-E website

Thread: Errors on S/W RAID

Default Errors on S/W RAID

We've got an Open-E DSS Lite box (v6 v5845) with 4TB expansion license running a S/W RAID5 on 4 x 1TB WD RE SATA disks. This has been running fine, and all SMART settings for the disks show PASSED. Over the weekend I started getting errors from this NAS as follows;

2012/06/06 20:07:31 smartd: Device: /dev/sda, 2 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

So, while the SMART status in the GUI shows ok, there are problems. This doesn't actually tell me which disk has the problem either, so what's the best way of finding this out? Is it worth running a filesystem repair from the C-A-X console?

Any advice appreciated.

It seems there is an issue with the sectors of one of your storage disks, and the notification related to disk sda ( as you can see "Device: /dev/sda, 2 Currently ...." ), also it would be recommended to check the system with the FS repair tool.

Thanks for the tip. The problem is though, that nowhere in the GUI or console does the drive get referenced by the /dev/sda name I can see. All I see is Unit S001, Unit S002 etc, and the S/W RAID name MD0. I understand SMART is reporting the actual drive with the bad sectors, but how do I find out which one this is?

Download your systme logs, from webGUI go to : status ->hardware -> Logs, then after you download them, try to open the logs with any software that opened compressed files ( ex: WinRAR ) and search the system logs to find a file named tests.log, you may find useful details about sda that lead you to find the drive you want.

Thanks. Downloading the logs and digging around led me (eventually) to test.log, which has this entry;

/dev/sda:

Model=WDC WD1003FBYX-01Y7B0 , FwRev=01.01V01, SerialNo= WD-WCAW31075556
    Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec SpinMotCtl Fixed DTR>5Mbs FmtGapReq }
    RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=50
    BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=?16?
    CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=268435455
    IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
    PIO modes: pio0 pio3 pio4
    DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
    UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
    AdvancedPM=yes: unknown setting WriteCache=enabled
    Drive conforms to: Unspecified: ATA/ATAPI-1 ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3 ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5 ATA/ATAPI-6 ATA/ATAPI-7

* signifies the current active mode

This gives me a serial number, which allows me to track the device down to Unit S000, so I'm getting somewhere.

When I come to replace this drive, as it's in a S/W RAID, is it just a matter of pulling and replacing the drive and letting the RAID rebuild, or do I need to do anything else beforehand?