Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS V6 and VMWARE 5

Default DSS V6 and VMWARE 5

Hi,

I have created a test unit with DSS V6 version 6.0up90.8101.5845 64bit to test connecting to a VMWARE esxi host . I want to test iSCSI storage.

The DSS unit is in demo mode. I have created a volume and presented it through iSCSI manager. I am able to connect to the iSCSI volume using a windows 2008r2 server, so I believe that my basic configuration of NAS and networking etc are correct. I should add that I am not using any authentication at the moment.

In my ESXI host V 5.0.0. 469512 I have created a management port and connected it to the vmnic. I then added the details to the broadcom storage iscsi adapter in my ESXI host. I add the ip address to the iSCSI dynamic discovery tab. Then I check the static discovery and static discovery tab shows the three network adapters. So I think that there must be basic network talk between esxi and nas iSCSI.

When I try to add the storage in the ESXI hosts I ask ESXI to look for a new disk/lun and it finds nothing.
    when I check the kernel logs they show many messages of the type

2012-06-22T14:44:04.406Z cpu6:4102)ScsiDeviceIO: 2316: Cmd(0x412400fd43c0) 0x12, CmdSN 0x5085 to dev "naa.600508e000000000c8f01988c64f2401" failed H:0x0 D:0x2 P:0x0 Valid sense data: 0x5 0x24 0x0.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance

peter

be sure that the VMWare IP is in the same subnet as the IP you want to connect to the storage.

The nas and esxi hosts are in different subnets, does that matter? The router does not block iscsi traffic and windows hosts in a different subnets can pick up the iSCSI volume

It can matter.
    Try putting the VMWare initiator in the same subnet and see if it connects.

OK I moved the iSCSI initiator into the same subnet and it connected. So what is my solution? is this an open-e issue, vmware issue or netwrok filtering issue?

Peter

Its not an issue, this is normal behavior.
    We recommend you keep the iSCSI traffic on its own subnet, so unwanted connections do not happen.