Visit Open-E website

Thread: Switching Open-E boot media from USB to SATA

Default Switching Open-E boot media from USB to SATA

Hi!

As discussed some weeks ago here in the forum, I want to switch from USB stick as boot media to a SATA Flash-Disk.
    I wanted to make this switch this weekend, but I have some questions to be answered before!

Current setup is like this:
    2 GB USB stick as boot media
    2 TB RAID 10 connected to 3ware 9650SE-8LPML

After the switch it should be like this:
    4 GB SATA flash-disk as boot media
    2 TB RAID 10 connected to 3ware 9650SE-8LPML

What is the best way to switch to a different boot media now?

1. Save config from current boot media (via WebGUI)
    2. Connect new SATA flash-disk to a different PC and install Open-E from booted CD-ROM
    3. Shutdown Open-E with USB stick
    4. Pull USB media, connect new SATA flash disk
    5. Boot Open-E and configure network via console
    6. Connect from PC via WebGUI and load new settings (saved in step 1)
    7. Reboot. Done.

Is that way correct?
    Does the newly installed Open-E assign old settings correct to the appropriate disks?

Regards,
    prahn

Your steps will work. You will also need to re-enter your product key and activate the install.
    The settings and configuration will be restored properly.

Hi!

I did the switch to the new boot media today, and it worked. Almost complete.
    The network settings did not get restored when loading the saved config!!!
    For the LAN address this is not a problem (as I remembered the correct address),
    but the other network devices (NICs for iSCSI SAN) did not have the correct address
    now. And I even do not know, where I could find the correct adresses now, to restore
    them manually! Now my ESXi is missing these iSCSI devices. (I also looked in the ESXi
    log files, but I found nothing here).

Is there any way, how I can get these adresses back??
    Please help.

Also the e-mail setup in open-e was not restored, but that was also easy to restore manually.
    Anything else that I should have a look at?

Regards,
    prahn

2 reasons why the settings(IPs) could not be restored; 1- Previous media was corrupted and they where not saved, 2- both the settings and configuration options were not selected when saving previous settings.
    You can restore them manually by using any IP that is in the same subnet as the initiators, or you should be able to check the settings of the software initiator and see what had been previously entered on the Static discovery tab.

Hi!

Thank you for that really fast reply.
    Ok, I found the previous configured in the Static discovery tab, thank you for that hint.
    But now, even after I did restore the addresses manually, the iSCSI volume does not get connected in ESXi.
    After testing a little, the volumes now disappeared in ESXi, but the iSCSI device is still there.
    When trying to "add new storage" I see the device, but when trying to find the partition table,
    ESXi says "Loading..." and does not find anything for a long time... ???

prahn

On the DSS V6 side, be sure the LUNs are activated, even toggle them off/on.
    Reboot the ESXi box.
    If you are using the latest build of DSS V6(6335), check the SCST compatibility settings from the console. This is mentioned in the release notes.

Thanks again for help.
    I hava a failover config with two paths and I put in the IP addresses in the wrong order. After switching these two the correct order, it's now back to work.