Visit Open-E website

Thread: Trim command supported

Question Trim command supported

Hello,

I would like to install a new Open-E system with some Intel 520 Series SSDs on an Areca 1680 or 1880 controller.
    When the system fills up,.. and deletes again... and fills up... the SSDs will become slower because the blocks first have to be CLEARED by the SSD before it can be re-written again.

It can be done by:
    - Using the TRIM command
    - Idle-time garbage collection.

See a report here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/sto...ssd-520_4.html of how slow an Intel 520 SSD will be after it's completely written once or two times.

I know Open-E runs on Linux and starting at Kernel v2.6.28 it supports Trim but is default disabled.
    For software raid: dmraid has support for Trim too.
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

Does Open-E execute the Trim command and how often? Does it also execute the Trim command for ISCSI LUNs or is that up to XenServer/VMWare?
    Roel Broersma is founder and technical consultant at www.Gigaweb.nl. Expert in Storage solutions based on DELL, OpenFiler, Open-E and more. New installations, troubleshooting and custom work. See my life and technical blog at: www.roelbroersma.nl

OECE - Open-E Certified Engineer

Roel,

Although Open-E support for TRIM is important, the larger problem is that Adaptec/LSIU and Areca do not support TRIM in their RAID disk controllers.

There are some SSDs which support idle-time gargabe collection, is it dependent on the controller used by the SSD (Sandforce vs. Marvell vs. ...). So you should be able to find SSDs which will work in the absence of TRIM support, as long as the system is not running disk IO 100% of the time (which is very rare)