Visit Open-E website

Thread: Hardware change

Default Hardware change

L.s.

Since about a few weeks, my DSS has become less stable and I suspect the motherboard or memory modules to be faulty.
    Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a spare server, spare components or failover cluster, since it is my limited budget home lab setup.

Therefore, I am considering a hardware change, but I am not sure what steps to take.
    Can I simply put my USB DOM with the current install and the hardware RAID controller into a new motherboard?

I know it might be a trivial question for some or you - but I'd like to know for sure.
    Thanks for your help!

you can change hardware, and the DSS V6 will require activation again.

Sounds good!
    I guess some settings, such as network settings, need to be re-entered with the change of NICs (replace PCI-X by PCI-E), but do I understand correctly that no other re-configuration is needed?

DNS and Gateway and if your port # was different then those will have to be reset as well along with any Static routing.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Excellent! I'll update this thread with my experiences as soon as I've migrated.
    Many thanks for your quick replies - I think your forum presence alone is worth buying the product for!
    (By the way, do you guys ever sleep?)

(By the way, do you guys ever sleep?)
    Not often....

Today seemed the best day to replace the hardware, so we did: the motherboard and NICs have been replaced with new equipment from the same brand (Intel), but the MB's chipset is different.

The machine successfully boots from the USB DOM, but often hang on "Loading".
    When it finally moved on booting, it could find the system volume that resided on the Raid Array (same Areca controller as before).
    Actually, it cannot find the RAID controller at all, e.g. it does not appear in the hardware list, although it is properly recognized in the BIOS.

It appeared that the Areca Firmware was too old (version 1.46 from 2009) and needed to be 1.49 or above to solve some known MBR issues.
    After upgrading firmware, all went well!
    Last edited by Arcesilaus; 09-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Most if not all the RAID controller companies, recommend to update the Firmware, due to multi things, one of that things is the compatibility with the new drivers for the controller itself. We also recommend to update the controller Firmware.

you can change the hardware
    Last edited by Al-S; 10-18-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Remove a none related website link