Visit Open-E website

Thread: All Admin down,console error: INIT: cannot execute "/var/nasexe/administration_start"

Exclamation All Admin down,console error: INIT: cannot execute "/var/nasexe/administration_start"

Hi,

I have 2 DSS6 6.0up90.8101.5845 32bit with replication in between them (two volumes each cross-replication).

One of the boxes stopped responding to any web request to the administration interface with "The connection was reset" displaying in the browser. Both CLI and API give "Server unexpectedly closed network connection" error.

I went to the physical server console everything looks normal but as soon as I hit Ctrl+Alt+T to reset the web interface I go this:

INIT: cannot execute "/var/nasexe/administration_start
    INIT: Id "1" respawning too fasst: disabled for 5 minutes
    and this repeats every 5 min...

These servers are used to store VMs from a vSphere 5.0 environment over FC, this is all working fine and VM files and storage is fully functional. When I access the web interface on the other DSS server I can see that the replication task for the volume that is source there seems to be working fine, but I do not have any way to find out if the replication task for the volume that is destination is working (problem box is the source)...

This happened to me once already but the system was not being used yet and I just power cycled the server, If I am not able to gracefully shutdown that server and more importantly stop the replication tasks on it first, how should I proceed to avoid data corruption or any other problems? after I stop all VMs and all access to the data, should I just forcefully reboot that server an then try to start the replication tasks normally?
    Last edited by itr; 10-16-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Hi,

Did you ever manage to get this solved? I have the exact same issue on DSS7.

Kind regards,
    Koen

Pi-L Guest

Most likely you boot medium is corrupted.

Recovering from boot medium error webinar:
    http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=42931157

I upgraded recently to the latest ESS 6 (b7337) and continue having the same problem... I just saw the response about the boot medium, I am using an USB pen drive to boot so I'll replace it to see if that helps...