Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibre Channel problem

Default Fibre Channel problem

Since upgrading one of our storage servers to version 7 we are having problems with Vmware seeing the the target and volumes.

What we have noticed is that the fibre switch is showing that the port is in both modes (target/initiator), i have tried different ports and it is the same on the second FC switch as well. This is causing the problem with vmware because as soon as i plug a version 6 DSS server into the port it all works correctly.

So it seems that Version 7 of DSS does not advertise itself correctly.

Similar problem here with 10GBe cards connected to a 10GBe SFP switch.
    The link status of the ethernet card and the switch shows up, but we cant get a ping through it.
    With V6 on the same hardware it works perfectly

We already opened a support ticket...

Ok I have managed to find out how to fix this, it appears that with DSSV7 the switches are not seeing the qlogic fibre cards as qlogic cards. So I had to disable the I/O Streamguard on the ports of the fc switch that the servers where plugged into. Now I can see all the volumes and targets with the vmware servers

Gavin

We are looking into this driver issue with the V7 and have the developers checking it out, we might need to get you another small update. Thanks for doing all the testing and verifying the network
    Last edited by To-M; 12-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Even though I have it working it is not as stable as DSSV6 was as we are getting some disconnection errors. I did raise a support call and mentioned the issue and I was told this was by design, really!!!! doesn't sound right. Why take a backward step and expect users to have to force fibre channel switch ports to certain settings. I am starting to think that we upgraded from DSSV6 that was working to DSSV7 that is less stable and worst of all we had to pay for this. I must admit that the interface is better in V7

Hang tight.... We found a similar issue on monday with a case, the support team is getting the developers involved to get some small update for the DSS V7. I placed a note on your ticket and the other case to run it up the ladder. I will have them reply to you when they get this small update ready.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks todd,
    hopefully it will be quick as these servers are in production and have our entire vm network in there, i am moving one of the servers back to V6 to get some stability
    Regards
    Gavin

Gavin,
    We have found the issue, but it is still undecided if we can correct it with a small update. Devs are still working on that side of it.
    Should have more info in the next 24hrs or so.

Greg

Thanks Greg, another funny thing or could be coincidence, as soon as I setup a partnership and created some replication tasks I started getting disconnections even though the tasks had not been started. Have removed tasks and partnership and the disconnection errors have reduced. Just thought I would mention this

Regards

Gavin

I am busy testing a fix that can only be used if Active/Active is not being used. So far the FC switches now see the servers as targets and we have had no issues with VMware losing disconnections to the volumes , I have not enabled replication yet but will do that tomorrow if all is still stable. I will monitor for a couple of days and post an update.

Gavin