Visit Open-E website

Thread: UPS support

Default UPS support

Hi,

I'm missing some more details on the UPS support..
    I have a APC Matrix 5kVA with SNMP-adapter and apcupsd running on some servers already (only by snmp, no serial)
    I now managed to configure the DSS as "Slave" to one of the servers using the default port 3551.
    DSS reports "UPS Mode: null, Status: ONLINE" under Status->hardware, so it seems to basically work, but what will happen now when the UPS goes on battery ?
    I don't want it to shut down immidiately and I'm missing some way to configure the time when it will shut down..

Michael

Please set the Timeout: settings for Battery Limit.
    This option enables sub staining the system as long as the battery holds (the system will shutdown when battery charge drops to 5% or when there are 3 minutes time to total discharge of battery).
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

There is no timeout-setting in slave-mode (?), thats my problem..

The default settings don't help me as the UPS is configured to switch off outlets with 5min. runtime remaining, so the DSS will crash before it starts to shut down.
    Also during a small test yesterday, the DSS hasn't seen it "on battery" through the master, it remained to report "Online" which is bad as it leads one to think the Master/Slave-comm is working where it wasn't..

Now I found an apcupdsd.conf in the logs download: it's configured for the old "Master/Slave"-mode of apcupsd instead of using NIS..
    That's probably where my problems lied, after reconfiguring the master (and downgrading apcupsd to support the old model it seems to work now.
    And just as a suggestion, there should be something more in the docs explaning how to configure UPS-support at all, a Master (or refer to apcupsd at least so someone knows what DSS expects when configuring an UPS..
    But still, at least the BATTERYLEVEL and MINUTES should be configurable

Also, as let's call it a feature request:
    - direct SNMP-support (I guess it's already in apcupsd just no way to configure it)
    - Using the NIS instead of the "old" Master/Slave model as the author of apcupsd recommends

Michael

Thanks for the information and I wanted to let you know that I forward your information and findings to our software engineers. There will be more features and documentation on this in later releases. I have no time table as to when this will be updated as there are allot of requests from so many users that we will update all but please be patient. All updates are free with no charge so you may receive additional functions. Thanks again for your findings.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks Todd,

just let me finally point out why I think this is that important (and why I digged into this deeper at all):
    As the DSS represents some critical infrastructure element providing possibly many services to other servers (iSCSI,NFS), I want to make sure that
    a) it shuts down last - i.e. after all servers depending on it
    b) it shuts down correctly (and know when this might happen)
    c) reliable comm with UPS - i.e. avoid using master-slave chains by getting with SNMP on the UPS

Michael

Thanks, I will make additional inquiry to our engineers. Good points for sure!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"