Visit Open-E website

Thread: Problems using retrospect to sync the shares

Default Problems using retrospect to sync the shares

Hello,

we have purchased the XSR-Enterprise edition which replaces our old windows server. Now, we have some trouble concerning the backup strategies of our windows clients.

We use retrospect to backup our clients to our home shares on the XSR. This causes reams of errors of type:

"D:\foo\foo.xxx": Erstellungsdatum/-zeit unterschiedlich unterschiedlich (Quelle: 08.11.2006 08:47:58, Ziel: 08.11.2006 08:48:32)"

Basically, the creation timestamps of source and destination files are different.

Can someone tell what's going wrong?

Regards,

Daniel

Are there any errors on the NAS-XSR Enterprise showing up on the bottom left side of the screen with RED Exclamation mark? Also not sure if there are some restrictions or applications using this directory if so there might be error logs showing in Retrospect to point out what is causing this. Also Retrospect may be encountering a filename that it doesn't know how to read. It could be an illegal windows character, or a path greater then 256 characters. Also make sure that the NAS-XSR Enterprise time is set correct and enter the NTP 1.pool.ntp.org with Zone as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thank you for your fast response

Again, I've checked your suggestion:

1) The NAS synchronises its time with a time server and it shows the correct time.
    2) There are no error messages (when I click on the RED Exclamation mark) which could point out any problem.
    3) We do not use file- or pathnames with special caracters. In addition, the path names are shorter than 255 caracters (This problem is well known here and fixed )
    4) The shares are connected and mapped to a drive letter in windows. I can rule out that the files are used by an other application during the retrospect backup.

For me, it looks like retrospect copies the files and then reads a wrong timestamp for the creation date. The retrospect log files show, that the files on the NAS are marginally younger than the original one (mostly arround 2 seconds).

The error only happens when retrospect write form a windows client to the NAS, when it reads from the NAS everthing works fine.

In order to prevent misunderstandings, we don't use the retrospect client device of your XSR. We use the retrospect client version 6.5 to sync our windows shares.
    The samba logs doesn't indicate any problems too.

Best regards,

Daniel

I can review the logs of the NAS-XSR Server and see if we see any errors that could be on our end. If you copy, create or modify a file with just another PC does this problem still exists (not using Retrospect) ? Any chance that you can contact Retrospect support for any clues to assist on this as well. If you are not using our client portion of our product it is very difficult to identify. Maybe something will show up in the logs. Please download logs, they are located in Web GUI, in status -> hardware -> Function: Logs then email logs to support@open-e.com.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube