Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open-e states ERROR: No system volume found!

Default Open-e states ERROR: No system volume found!

Hi Forum,

we have an 24TB Open-E V6 Box here with an areca RAID Controller and 24x1TB SATA disks. 20TB of the storage is published as one iSCSI volume. Last week, the areca thought, that 3 of his 24 RAID-6 disks were gone. But after a reboot, 2 were away and could be rebuilt without errors.

Now, the rebuild of the RAID-6 is done, but Open-E has a problem when starting up. The error is:

ERROR: No system volume found! System services can't work without system volume !

I found the hint to use Ctrl-Alt-X and select the default volume. But if I do so, there is only one volume and it is already selected.

What could I do to get the data back and the iSCSI device online again?

Thank you for your help!

Erwin

uhm, I forgot this info:

I can log into the webinterface of the Open-E V6. There I see the vg00 and the license key for example. But nothing can be changed or altered there as it says "no system disk found" or similar...

Pi-L Guest

Most likely file system on system volume, where configuration is kept, got corrupted. Make sure your RAID, if you use any, is ok and run file system repair tool from DSS console. If it doesnt help please open support ticket from user portal and attach logs from system.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Is it possible to do it remote? If yes, how? :-)

Pi-L Guest

Once you enable remote console access you can do it remotely by connecting to console via ssh.

http://kb.open-e.com/How-do-I-connect-to-the-console-remotely_97.html

I managed to connect remotely!

But when trying to repair the LV, it says, there is no NAS LV. !?!

I think, the data, where the system volume is to be found is part of the configuration, am I right? Can't I edit this config file?

Pi-L Guest

Most likely you are running old version of DSS V6. In newer version it is possible to repair system volume even if you have no NAS volumes. Please update and then try to repair FS (download new ISO file from our web site and upload it in software updater field).

thanks! I'm running 6.0up30.8101.4362 64 bit.

I downloaded dss6.0up95_b6156.oe_i.iso. But if I choose "S/W upgrade" in the webgui, it says: "it is not possible to upload an update file if the system volume does not exist".

Can I upgrade anyway? Using the gui? Is the config preserved then?

Pi-L Guest

You can copy content of ISO file on USB stick and run /boot/bootinst.sh or /boot/bootinst.exe if on windows to make it bootable and boot DSS V6 from it to run file system repair. Later you may boot from old installation medium to save setup files to restore it on new version.

I don't want to stick to the old version.

Is it a way to go: boot from the new iso and upgrade? does this preserve the config and license?