Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS v7 lite 2TB capacity

Default DSS v7 lite 2TB capacity

Hi,

I'm currently using a commercial version of DSS v7 but I have also activated the v7 live version on a different server.
    I have installed 2 x 2TB hard drive but if i go to the software raid menu i got a warning saying that there's the 2TB limit for the lite version and doesn't let me do anything.

I was wondering if there's the possibility to create a 2TB partition and continuing to use it. I don't have the need to exceed the limit and there's no need from my side to purchase a licence for the purpose of this storage.

Please can you give me any suggestion? Do i have to used 2 by 1.5TB HDD to get it working?...

Thanks

Andrea

The 2 X 2TB hard drives capacity exceed the limit of the Lite 2TB support license.

Please find the following calculator that should help you to choose the license capacity and storage capacity:
    http://www.open-e.com/raid-calculator/

In your case, the best is to use 2 disks with size of 1TB for each.

Thanks for you suggestion.

I was thinking that would be anyway possible to create a partition of 2TB and in someway have a limit of usability of the space, not that i can't do anything at all...

By the way i was looking to have a raid 1... so anyway no more than 2 TB...

Isn't it possible to limit it to match the requirements of the lite licence? Unfortunately we do not have financial resources to buy an additional licence.

Regards

Andrea

I'm not sure if this will help you or not as I didn't try it.
    Try to create volume(s) with size of 2TB (or even little bit less lets say 1.9TB ) using a full DSS ( trial or licenssed ) but not the Lite. And after you create the volume(s) with that space, try to run the DSS lite and see if it works with you or not in that way.

If it works, that's great, but I guess you will not be able to use the extra space that you already have if you keep using the Lite license, unless you want to use the full build in future or the space of 2TB is fair enough for you.

Let me know if that helps you : )

Hi, i fixed it buying the 2TB extension and after installing the licence key and rebooting i was able to configure the software raid. I just would suggest Open-e to better highlight this on the web to avoid misunderstanding. It's easy to think that 2TB is the volume capacity and not the raw capacity... or better expand the free licence to 4TB...

Thanks

Andrea

Glad to hear that it works fine with you now, and for your note we will pass it to our team and do what we can.