Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot upgrade iS703 from 6.0up90.8101.5845 to latest

Default Cannot upgrade iS703 from 6.0up90.8101.5845 to latest

I tried downloading the image of the latest software update using the Software Update tab on my i703. I accept the terms, and then select the server to start from the downloaded package, 6.0up98.xxxx.7337 2013-02-14. The server gets to the section during startup where I can select my old or new image. If I let it boot to the new image, it hangs at a blank screen with a prompt. Is this too big a jump? Is there a way to get any of the versions between these if that's the case?

You should be able to boot fine with this latest version, the size or space is not the issue or you would not be able to upload via the GUI if you did not have enough space.
    I would check the boot media.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I'm downloading it through the GUI of the appliance. I can try downloading it from the site to see if that makes a difference. I've tried it from the GUI twice and it's the same result both times.

Any chance you can download the log file and submit a support ticket and we will look to see what the casue is, I have seen this before and most of the time it is the boot media.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I tried downloading the ISO from the open-e website and got the same results as when I downloaded it through the GUI. I can get you the log files, but we're out of contract for support. I would think that one of the images would have worked if it was going to work. If you want the log files, let me know and I can get them to you. Or if you want to tell what to look for in the files, I can do that as well.

Try using the zip file and unpack to a new USB thumbdrive, make it bootable, and boot from that.
    If this works, it most likely is something with your current boot media.

When you say "boot media", so you mean the ISO image I'm downloading from the two different resources or is boot media something different from that? The USB option sounds like a pain. Is that really the only other option?

boot media = what you are currently installed to, and booting from

===to boot from USB stick:
    1. Download and uncompress the file dss6.0upXX_bXXXX.oe_i.zip
    2. Format a USB-stick partitioned as a FAT or FAT32 for the root directory (at least 2GB media size)
    3. Copy the uncompressed directories and files onto USB-stick
    Directories: bxxxx, boot and Manual
    Files: mmenu_upd.sh and QuickStart.txt
    4. After copying the directories and files please verify that in the root directory resides:
    bxxxx <DIR>
    boot <DIR>
    Manual <DIR>
    mmenu_upd.sh
    QuickStart.txt
    5. Access the directory called "boot" then run the bootinst.exe (for Windows only) or bootinst.sh (for Linux only).
    6. Boot your storage server with the USB-stick. (please set the BIOS to boot form USB-stick, or in boot menu select USB-stick to boot)
    ===

You can also find more details how to prepare a USB stick (or else) at the following quick guide:
    For DSS V6:
    http://docs.google.com/gview?url=htt...000&height=500

For DSS V7:
    http://docs.google.com/gview?url=htt...000&height=500

I booted from an image on a USB stick, but it lost all of the old network settings. I configured it for an IP, but when I get on the http interface, I get a request for me to enter my product key. I've never had to do this before. I thought this was going to be an upgrade to my existing system, and not a re-install.