Visit Open-E website

Thread: How many NICs?

Question How many NICs?

We have two identical RAID servers on which we were running v7 in a multipath configuration without the Active-Active module. Once we installed the
    Active-Active module we could no longer get multipathing to work.

The RAID servers each have 2 x 1GbE NICs and 2 x 10GbE NICs. Each of the 10GbE interfaces has a virtual IP for connecting to our XenServer farm. One of the 1GbE interfaces is used purely for replication and the other 1GbE as the management port.

Is it possible to have Active-Active setup and to have multipathing with just the 4 NICs? Or are we going to have to purchase another dual port 10GbE card for each RAID server?

I had a look at the http://www.open-e.com/site_media/dow...I_Failover.pdf guide and it seems to list 6 NICs as being needed. I just want to confirm this is the case before going ahead.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

How many NICs are on the Xen server? I would assume 2 but wanted to make sure. 4 NICs is enough w/ the 2 - 10GbE with the VIPs on them. You dont have to bond with more NICs.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

best would be to use your existing 10GBe for MPIO, and add 10GBe for replication with active / active

In case you are going to use it with one switch, then 4 is enough, but in case you are going to use it with 2 switches, then using 5 NICs is the minimum requirement (must use 5 or more).