Visit Open-E website

Thread: Async Mirroring/Replication

Default Async Mirroring/Replication

Hi,
    I'm looking at iScsi based open-e enterprise. i'm hoping to have a mirror/replication server at a second datacentre, and need a link between them that will run over general internet cabling. it therefore need secured, and also needs to be async.

is it possible to do this type of thing with open-e?

thanks
    chris

The iSCSI-R3 Enterprise and DSS will provide Volume Replication in Asynchronous mode. Our replication process runs on randomly chosen ports from 12000-13999.
    These ports have to be open in firewalls as incoming and outgoing. Below is a short description of our Replication process. Please download and test the Demo-CD of iSCSI-R3 Enterprise from link below.
    Failover is manual currently, in July or August we will have auto failover.

Update to Auto Failover!!

Please be advised that Auto-Failover has been delayed - there is no set date or details related to this subject.
    We will announce this at a later date. Thank you for your patience on this matter.

http://www.open-e.com/data_storage_s...l_cd_downloads

Target Volume Replication:

iSCSI Target Volume Replication replication is very similar to RAID 1. The first stage is rebuilding of the destination to be the copy of the source volume. Next stage (endless) is online modifying the destination volume to keep the mirror. The difference comparing to the RAID 1 is that, after any broken connection only the changed data will be 'rebuild' (again first stage takes place) on the destination.

Note: the replication should be performed on separate NIC and the connection should be as fast as the main network connection, to prevent lowering data throughput. Once you create the Target Volume you have the choice to set it as Source or Destination to the mirrored server. Replication of volumes should be same size.

Changing destination to source without loosing data is only possible when data is consistent.

How to change source to destination:
    1. Stop replication task on source or turn off server 2. Now it will be possible to change destination to source, when the data is consistent.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Note: the replication should be performed on separate NIC and the connection should be as fast as the main network connection, to prevent lowering data throughput. destination to

This is the thing that bugging me from deploying Open-E into my production environment , for me "Asynchronous" mean that the data can be replicate at any speed and the master is not suppose to suffer from this or at least this is the way that sanmelody work using buffer on each side.Replication over Wan Link is simply not possible so?

In future releases of DSS and iSCSI-R3 Enterprise we will add Synchronous (no set date as of yet) and add new routing capabilities to overcome the NAT issue.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube