Visit Open-E website

Thread: Harddisk backup,

Arrow Harddisk backup,

Is it posible to backup from 1 volume to a other? (lv0 > lv1)

volume 1 is a raid6 volume of 8 disks (444GB) There will be no more data then 100GB!
    volume 2 is a raid0 volume of 1 disk (320GB)

Raid6 is being used for profiles so more disks more speed....
    Local backup a can select source lv0 and lv1 destination but then it needs a snapshot???
    I just want to backup the files and folder to the other disk. I do not want to zip it or to have the information in one file!

Futher more i missed the rescan button. If i plugin a harddisk the raidcontroller (areca 1160) finds the disk. I then create a raid set and a volume then go to the open-e and can't find the new disk. Need to reboot first and then the disk is found. I hope this can be done hot-plug....

Specs: cabinet witch can contain 16 disks currently using 8 disks raid6 + 1 hotplug
    and 1 disk to backup to within the same cabinet. We want to try harddisk backup.
    have 10 disks 320 on the self so each day a other can be used to backup. Controller is
    a aneca 1160 with 16 channels. the version of open-e is enterprise xrn.

I more information is needed please let it know.

Greetings, sys-b.

ps. have the virus scanner working but did not find a proxy button...

Default Harddisk backup

Yes, Snapshot is needed with Local backup. Although, I understand that if you wish not to extract the file from the zip backup then the next direction would be to use our Snapshot feature.

When adding a new disk after you have initialized and prioritized the disk in the Areca controller please use the consol tools by crt.+alt+X (Extended Tools) select the PV resize function.

Thanks fore your response To-M

I have 1 open-e nas server. Config is as follows:

lv0 has 8 member disks of 36gb 10.000rpm raptor
    lv1 is 1 disk of 320 gb

All these disks are on the same controller. lv0 is used fore storing data. lv1 is used to create a backup off lv0. i want to do harddisk backupping... (lv0 to lv1)!

Local backup fails. if a make a snapshot volume on lv1 to maximum i can't select the snapshot volume. needs also normal space.... so i thougt lets use
    Synchronize so fore example:

lv1 contents profile and documents share
    lv0 contents backup

following error code appears:

Jul 21 04:31:02 nas rsync_log: Synchronization to 192.168.0.1 failed. Error 35 : Snapshot error

User is the same. (user:administrator pwd:test)

Is there a function in open-e as ghost disk to disk or partition to partition?

i have used the console tools crt + alt + +x

hopefully you can help.

Default Hard disk backup

Hard disk backup

Synchronization (R-Sync) is for synchronizing between shares of two NAS Servers. Most errors are received because the synchronization and backup are currently happening at the same time. Backup has higher priority then synchronization. Synchronization will be stopped, if it has been setup in the same time with Backup, when using snapshots form the same Logical Volume. You will see snapshot error in Synchronization status, because snapshots cannot be used twice in a same time, if they are set to the same Logical Volume. If this is not what is happening please email support@open-e.com

Currently we do not have built in ghost disk-to-disk or partition-to-partition but Local Backup features for your LV0 to LV01 shares. Below is how to stage this:

In Maintenance:
    Backup
    Function "Local backup"
    This function allows backing up shares on logical volumes of the Open-e NAS server.
    Before starting a local backup procedure, you must choose the "source lv",
    snapshot, destination and share source. Choosing the "incremental backup" will copy files that have been changed since the last backup or will make a new backup. Shares included in the right window are automatically backed up by clicking the "apply" button.

All the best,

To-M

Thanks for your reaction To-M,

I have found the function local backup I select lv0 (source) no snapshot, lv1 (destination) and finally the shares! I select full backup. so lv0 400 gb to lv1 300gb.
    lv0 has only 100gb of data. Why do i have to select a snapshot. I only want data from 1 disk to a other..... i have enough space on lv0. I just want to backup lv0 on lv1.
    I still do not understand how to work. Or does local backup only works when the volumes are the same size?

Greetings, Sys-b

Default Hard disk backup

The reason for Snapshot in Local Backup is that when the backup is performing the snapshot provides data integrity. You can choose only from snapshots with no create- and remove-time assigned as well. When you change source lv, available shares and snapshot will also change. Also, even if you choose more than one share to backup each share will be backuped into separate file.

Post Hard disk backup

dear Sys-b:

I also wanted to let you know that we do support local synchronization as well. In such a case you need to specify your own IP and choose destination volume. Please do not forget to enable synchronization on source and destination share!

Update:

Synchrosation works The main volume lv00 needed a snapshot volume.
    Maining i needed to delete the lv00 volume then create it again. Only this time a litte smaller and with snapshot size. Now i can syncronise one volume with the other.
    I wonder how big a snapshot volume needs to be..... the size of a file a as large as an entire volume. 6gb bigest file snapshot volume also 6 gb or volume 110GB snapshot also 110GB.... Just wondering i will test it next week. Futher more remains that the main volume lv00 can be selected as part of synchronization. Lv01 same as lv00 (data + snapshot space) then lv01 with shares can't be selected first. lv00 though no problem!
    I also tested the speed..... 11mb/sec with sync.... on the same nas (used ip 127.0.0.1)
    and 4mb/sec by local backup.... lv00 > lv01 is this normal... Network seems to be faster!?!?!? have the following raidcard (areca 1160).

setup 8 disks raid6 (412GB) to 1 disk raid0 (300GB)
    lv00 divided in 200GB data and 200Gb snapshot and 4GB swap
    lv01 300GB data

Keeping you informed of the progress...

Typical recommendation of how big a snapshot volume needs to be is usually 10% of the total amount you need. So lets say that you only plan to protection of your LV01 300GB data then 30GB would be needed.

I would contact Areca concerning the speed and verify the settings on this controller.