Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DiskAgent for Data Protector 5.5 (6.0)

Default DiskAgent for Data Protector 5.5 (6.0)

Hi,

I have a short question about planned backup systems. We use two systems, Veritas BackupExec and Data Protector 5.5 (6 in the future). Veritas works perfect with DSS but we plan to expand Data Protector and cut off Veritas. Is there any possibility to include the Disk Agent from Data Protector or is there the idea to implement this feature in the future

Thanks in advance

Stefan

Unfortunately the HP Data Protector charges money for this agent license - unless they provide this free. Even the Veritas Backup Exec started charging for agents after ver. 11, I believe this cost is about $300 per license so we only support version 10 and under.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default Hi,

thank you very much for your answer. I thought so but wondered why veritas is free because i know they charge for their agents (glad we use an old version in some years DP5.5 is old too

i have another short question. I there a possibility to restore single files from backup? If we cant use Data Protector maybe i copyjob could help out but without single-file restore...

Yes, use the Local Backup in DSS. First enable this in NAS Settings > Local backup settings. Then go to MAINTENANCE -> backup -> Function: Create new virtual backup device then set up your Backup task for your share to perform Full, Incremental and or
    Differential. This will allow you to restore files after completing these tasks.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

i'm sorry maybe i described something wrong. I have done it this way and wanted to restore one single file. I see only restore but no file list to choose from.

Correct when restoring files, they reside from the share that is backed up. Once restored on the selected share, go to the share and select the file from the backed up share.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Even the Veritas Backup Exec started charging for agents after ver. 11, I believe this cost is about $300 per license so we only support version 10 and under.
    Can you please update this information? Which Backup Exec versions are supported with the currently pre-installed agent? What is if we do an Backup Exec update and the pre-installed agent becomes unusable? Is there any chance that we can install a suitable agent in the Linux system? I mean if we need an agent to backup very important data, then 300 $ for the license is not the main problem.

Thank you,
    Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Unfortunately the HP Data Protector charges money for this agent license - unless they provide this free. Even the Veritas Backup Exec started charging for agents after ver. 11, I believe this cost is about $300 per license so we only support version 10 and under.
    Tom,

Given that backup agents like Data Protector and Veritas are critical to effective backup operations, perphas Open-E needs to start thinking of ways to allow for the Agent to be installed by the client (after they have purchased the appropriate license) and supported by DSS, OR create separate/add-on modules for the functionality and pass-along the license fees in the new add-on costs.

My firm, for one, would purchase such an add-on for Backup Exec in a heartbeat!

I know and we are looking into this but our engineers will need more time. I know this topic has a long history and they may have a solution sometime near the summer of this year. Also we will introduce NDMP for next release of DSS, this should help others but not all. Know that we are working into this. Just need to give them more time.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"