Visit Open-E website

Thread: Conversion Storedge 5210 NAS

Default Conversion Storedge 5210 NAS

Since we are expanding, we are thinking of buying a couple of iSCSI boxes.
    We already have 2 Sun StorEdge 5210 NAS devices...
    Would it be possible to convert those to iSCSI using the Open-e DSS Enterprice Modules???

If anyone knows, please inform!

Thanks in advance!!

Ansco v.Rooyen
    Meyn

DSS uses different Volume Manager so you will not be able to use the same Logical Volumes that originally was created from the iSCSI Enterprise product. You will need to back up your data then install the DSS then create new Logical Volumes (iSCSI Volumes) then restore data onto the new DSS Logical Volumes. Currently all iSCSI-R3 and DSS will perform this but not the iSCSI Enterprise to DSS.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    DSS uses different Volume Manager so you will not be able to use the same Logical Volumes that originally was created from the iSCSI Enterprise product. You will need to back up your data then install the DSS then create new Logical Volumes (iSCSI Volumes) then restore data onto the new DSS Logical Volumes. Currently all iSCSI-R3 and DSS will perform this but not the iSCSI Enterprise to DSS.
    I did expect something like that!!

The question at hand is more: is it possible to re-use the hardware???

Everything is available: Xeon processor, memory, raid controllers, disks etc...

Ansco

Absolutly - this is listed on our website to support
    - x86 - compatible PC
    - 1 GByte RAM
    - CPU (3 GHz Pentium IV or faster are recommended)

As I always suggest and even support will tell you "test with the Demo-CD to verify".
    Or go to our listed supported hardware on the web site. You do know how to get the Demo-CD?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Although the system does not have a cd romdrive, I'll apply for the demo CD in two weeks time!!
    I'll be off on holidays next week

Will be testing!!

Ansco