Visit Open-E website

Thread: Demo-CD : Not enough memory

Post Demo-CD : Not enough memory

Hello,

I'm trying to evaluate "NAS R3 Enteprise", but got an error message while booting on the Demo-CD (version : demo_10.n20070220s.410.b2584.nasr3-ent.oe.iso).

Error message is :
    ERROR: Not enough memory.

Test computer is :
    HP DX6100
    Pentium 5 - 520
    RAM 512 Mo
    HDD SATA 80Go

Could you help please ?

Thanks.
    ---
    Mathieu

Try to disable any Video memory that could be subtracting from the total base of 512MB or add additional memory. I recommend 1GB for any testing especially when using Backup, Snapshot and other features of our products as with any OS it can help.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hello,

Yes, i could understand the problem if i were doing memory consuming tasks like a backup or a snapshot as you say...
    But i'm just trying to boot from the demo CD-Rom and to launch the system, i haven't seen the console yet !?!
    It just starts booting vmlinuz, then display the error message, and that's all.

Do you really think it is due to a lack of memory ?

Thanks,
    ---
    Mathieu

i've got exactly the same problem....
    i don't think is for a lack of memory
    i think 512 mb is enough to boot almost the configuration page, dont'you?

Typically this Error message “:ERROR: Not enough memory”, from many customers contacting me on support, asking this question about this error, I find out that even though on our product requirments that we require 512MB, sometimes the motherboards built in video will take from this. Can you tell me if the motherboard is subtracting from this (16, 32 or 64)???
    Also try after POST, enter the Escape key to see if you can get into a basic menu and select Rescue mode.

But if possible can you add some additional memory just to test or test with another system board (also disable any power management features) ??
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hello,

After adding one more DIMM in the test computer it is ok, no more error message.
    I'm just surprised to see a Linux system needing at least 512Mo just for booting...
    Anyway it works.

Thanks Todd

Can you tell me how much you added or did you change the motherboard BIOS video settings?

Sorry guys, but if we don’t require it when starting the system we would be inundated with support calls when utilizing other functions later (we standardized on this from past issues -DSS we require 1GB), better to require it up front now then later when you have issues.

Profuse apologies on the added cost! Thanks for working with me on this.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hello,

Well, i didn't try to change the video memory setting in the bios, i just added a 512Mo DIMM, so i reach 1Go RAM on my test computer.

Finally, i thinks it is not a big problem really, first because RAM dimm's are cheap this year, second because my production server has 2 Gigs, and last, i don't see serious file servers with less that 1Go. (And NAS-R3 is for serious file servers... no ? )
    Maybe you should just specify in the server requirement that 768Mo is a minimum if the video card make use of shared memory.

Thanks again.

The only issue is that we have so many customers that are currently working with 512MB with out any issue (different MB's).
    One of our resellers just sold 20 of the NAS-R3 Enterprise systems with the following config below without a hitch. I agree with you there should be some statement stating that in the event you receive the following error messages please make sure that your system has 512MB dedicated for our recommended products and if not add additionl memory. But in the end your suggestion makes sense as this would prevent some level of frustration. I will forward onto our management to have a some statement in the manuals or Quickstart Guide. Thanks again for the ideas, this helps us to be better.

Motherboard:
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...7221/P8SCT.cfm
    512MB RAM
    RAID 5 (WD5000YS)
    Sata Controller:
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/a...C-SAT2-MV8.cfm
    Chassis:
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/c...SC743T-645.cfm

Comment from http://www.amsstorage.com/ engineers testing before deployment.
    “Failed 1 drive then assigned spare drive - rebuild time estimated 2.5 hours (this is normal) – speed was @ 60MB (this is good for a Software RAID!)”
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"