Visit Open-E website

Thread: Copy owner and attributes from Windows?

Default Copy owner and attributes from Windows?

Hi,

My dss is working now and i wanted to copy a directory with some subdirectorys.
    The problem is, the directory resides on a windows2k machine and i need all attributes.
    When i try to copy them i got an error "Access denied". I used xcopy c:\x \\dss\x /O and the /O is for ownership and NTFS ACL. Did i do something wrong or? The share on the dss in an NAS-share.

Pls help

Try setting a Superuser in CONFIGURATION -> NAS settings -> Function: SMB settings. Information from manual and help files below.

By setting superuser and taking ownership of files for the shares it is
    possible under Extended Console Tools(ALT+CTRL+X) by choosing option
    "Set owner of files and directories".

Also update to version 1.18 for DSS this has the ACL function.

Information on how this functions comes with 1.18. Also check to see if you have rights to this share where there could be inherited rights for someone else.
    Without being there to see the MS Event ID logs I can’t tell.

Another way is if you can set properties of the share (using admin rights) to set everyone with no rights then reset the rights again to gain access. We have instructions in the manual that talks about this.

Superuser
    Superuser is a user, who has permission to take ownership of folder and files which belong to other users. It can be useful when administrator want to change access right (ACL) for folder or file established by other users. To give superuser privilege to a user, pick them from the menu. Superuser privilege allows the ability to modify, remove and add new files in the share, also to any files and directories that even those that the superuser have not been given ownership of.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube