Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware

Default Hardware

I am looking at creating a fibre channel storage solution like the Dell AX150. To accomplish this I would like to use the open-e iscsi R3 on a dell 2950 with qlogic fibre cards with SAS disks which uses a perc5/i, I know the controller is not on the supported hardware list but wondered if anyone has tested this with the latest version of open-e iscsi r3 also will the processor be supported

Thanks

gavin

Hi Gavin,

The Dell Perc5/i drivers are included in our software but they have not been certified. I have
    not yet heard of any issues from customers with this Perc5/i, so I cant say it will or will not work. Concerning Dell this is a big issue along with HP. Some of the Dell's have problems booting from our USB DOM's with External or Internal cables or no cables (directly on the MB). We do supply a BOOT ISO CD to assist the USB DOM. This is needed for the Dell 1850's and 850's and I do not have any information on the 2950. I have contacted them but I get the usual response "if it is not a Dell certified product then we will not support it" even though we try to support every product possible we just cant afford to purchase every server from Dell or HP. They can do something about but they don’t. They could make modifications on there BIOS like Intel and Supermicro but there is a reason why - they lose Sales if we come into the game. I have so many engineers that contact me concerning this and they really want to use our products with Dell because some of the systems are still working and would like to keep them useful. The processor is ok so that should not be an issue with our USB DOM’s. Also with DSS and iSCSI-R3 I know we are releasing an update on the around the 15th of this month that will have the new Broadcom NetXtreme II drivers that Dell uses on there motherboard.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thank you for your prompt response and information, can i ask are you still looking at the auto failover for replication to be released in august.

I also noticed that someone mentioned a product called Virtual Iorn I can say we are also looking at that product and from what I have been told it should work with open-e iscsi.

Gavin

Yes we are expecting to release this around Aug. Yes we are working with them but have a long way to go and alot of testing to do and no answers. Most of our customers pushed VI to do this so this is great what you guys do for us!

Update to Auto Failover!!

Please be advised that Auto-Failover has been delayed - there is no set date or details related to this subject.
    We will announce this at a later date. Thank you for your patience on this matter.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

I'm currently looking to build a iSCSI storage server and using some Dell's 2950 (with 750 GB SATA hard drives) and Open-E iSCSI (R3 or DSS ?) sounds like a good combination to me.

It'll be fast, reliable and not that expensive (compared to Ax150i or other brand appliances).

Did you get any progress (either in "better" or "worse") on using the 2950 with the USB DOM (anyway, using the CDROM is ok for me) ?

Sorry for the lack of information on the Dell 2950, the only information that I have is from one customer that was able to get this to work with External USB cable.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default USB Dell 2950

I can confirm that using the external cable I habve got our servers booting from the usb module no need for the cd-rom just make sure in the BIOS that under the usb you set it to be looking at the DOM and config your boot order. And that should work.

Gavin

Gavin,

1.30 is now released - please read the release notes.

As always great to have your input
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Todd, where are the release notes ?
    I did not found them on the website...

Open-E iSCSI-R3 Enterprise Release Highlights:
    * 2007-07-03 ver. 1.21 release
    NEW FEATURES:
    · License Key Support,
    · Motherboard status via SNMP,
    · Routing table management,
    · Support for Crystalfont LCD panel.
    UPDATED DRIVERS:
    · 3WARE drivers ( v9.4.1 ),
    · Intel NIC e1000 ( v7.4.27 ),
    · Myricom NIC 10Gb ( v1.3.0 ),
    · Adaptec RAID driver ( aacraid v1.1-5[2442] ),
    · Promise RAID driver ( v3.0.0.1),
    · Support for Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5706/5708 Driver ( v1.4.45 ),
    · Support for Adaptec aic94xx SAS/SATA driver ( v1.0.2 ).
    FIXED
    · Online update functionality.
    KNOW ISSUES:
    · Online update do not work with Open-E iSCSI-R3 v2.10 b2566. In such a case please
    use CD update,
    · Online update is not keeping the SNMP settings. After updating please reconfigure
    SNMP functionality,
    · When using 64bit system mode there is limitation to 1 active snapshot per LV and 10
    active snapshots overall.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"