Visit Open-E website

Thread: Experiences with updating DSS while Failover service is running

Default Experiences with updating DSS while Failover service is running

Hi!

How are your experiences with updating your DSS servers while the Failover Service is running?
    My Primary and Secondary systems are both running version 6.0up90.8101.5845 currently,
    and I want to update to the latest version 6.0up98.xxxx.7337 these days.

Open-E support "highly recommends to stop the Auto Failover service for the updates".

Is this really needed? How do you do the updates?
    Any experiences from users?

Thank you.

Regards,
    prahn

In case of upgrade a system with failover in use please use following instructions:

|>> Update the Secondary system first using the software update functionality and reboot.
    - In case of using VMware ESX(i) or MS Hyper-V Initiator system, you need to change the Identification Device (VPD) on the Secondary node.
    To do this go to the Console screen, enter "ctrl-alt-w -> Tuning options -> SCST subsystem options -> Device Identification (VPD) compatibility" and then set the proper VPD version, regarding the following rules below:
    - In case of updating from version 6.0up45 or lower, please change the Identification Device (VPD) compatibility to SCST VPD 1.0,
    - In case of updating from versions starting with 6.0up50 and ending at 6.0up90, please change the Identification Device (VPD) compatibility to SCST VPD 2.0,
    - In case of updating from version 6.0up95 or higher, please change the Identification Device (VPD) compatibility to SCST VPD 2.1.

|>> Then once the Secondary is running click on the start button in the Failover manager.

|>> Now update the Primary system using the software update functionality and reboot.
    - In case of using VMware ESX(i) or MS Hyper-V Initiator system, you need to change the Identification Device (VPD) on the Primary node.
    To do this go to the Console screen, enter "ctrl-alt-w -> Tuning options -> SCST subsystem options -> Device Identification (VPD) compatibility" and then set the proper VPD version, regarding the following rules below:
    - In case of updating from version 6.0up45 or lower, please change the Identification Device (VPD) compatibility to SCST VPD 1.0,
    - In case of updating from versions starting with 6.0up50 and ending at 6.0up90, please change the Identification Device (VPD) compatibility to SCST VPD 2.0,
    - In case of updating from version 6.0up95 or higher, please change the Identification Device (VPD) compatibility to SCST VPD 2.1.

|>> Once the Primary is running go to the Secondary and click on the Sync volumes button in the Failover manager.

|>> Then click on the Failback button in the Secondary system.

|>> The Primary system now be go back to the active mode and ready for another failover.

NOTE:
    - In case of updating from version 6.0up95 you may experience a problem with the availability of iSCSI and/or Fiber Channel volumes. If so, please go to the Console screen, enter "ctrl-alt-w -> Tuning options -> SCST subsystem options -> Device Identification (VPD) compatibility" and change the Identification Device (VPD) compatibility to SCST VPD 2.1
    - In order to run the system in rescue mode please add proper parameter to kernel command line. This can be done while system is booting by following steps:
    1. Reboot the system
    2. While the system is booting press the "Tab" key on "Architecture selection" screen
    3. Type "rescue_mode" and press the "Enter" key (in order to run the system without splash)
    or
    Type "rescue_mode=no_mount_lv" and press the "Enter" key (in order to run the system without mounting logical volumes)

Hi!
    Thank you for the fast reply.
    What I do not understand: After both systems are updated I am running both in mode "SCST VPD 2.0".
    Will I ever be able to switch both system back to the highest level? I guess I need to shutdown failover for that, right?
    Any disadvantages?

As the note said :

So we recommend you to change the SCST VPD to 2.1 in the console mode, by pressing CTRL+ALT+W -> Tuning options -> SCST subsystem options -> Device Identification (VPD) compatibility.

You can switch it after or during the update, and in general, tuning this option should work without need to reboot, but in case you are running virtual machine, we cannot be sure about it's behaviors, so rebooting would be recommended in this case.