Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adaptec Series 7 support status

Default Adaptec Series 7 support status

What is the current status of the Adaptec series 7 support? Is it worth waiting for the support in open-e or is it better to look for another software solution instead of open-e?

It will be supported in next release as well as MaxView (current beta release).

Thank you for the quick response. Is there an estimated schedule for the next release?

It is currently in beta testing phase, so should be in next 30 days or so, but not confirmed.

I need to make a decision soon. Is there an update in sight or will it take much more time? Because then I need to choose another product.

The full release will be soon.
    You can email our pre-sales team, and request the beta release if you wish: pre-sales at open-e dot com

To give you part of my experience:
    After looooong waiting we are using 7.0up11beta with ACTIVE/ACTIVE with Adaptec ASR71605Q with one SSD as maxCache accelerator.
    I have to say that I was surprised how the latencies and overall performance improved.
    our config :
    2x VMWare servers with 4x Gigabit copper ( no bonding ) - running cca 10 virtual servers for mid size company
    2x DSS ACTIVE/ACTIVE with Adaptec ASR71605Q ( 6x 15k SAS HDD + 8x 7k SATA + 1x SSD 240G ) with 4x Gigabit copper ( no bonding )
    1x network switch

Previously on on older RAID controllers during normal working load we had disk latencies avg 70ms with peaks up to 200ms, now with SSD cache we see latency avg 0.54ms with peaks up to 30ms.
    I consider it as LIGTNING fast ( with our budget ofc)
    I'm not an expert on IOmeter - sequential write was 200 MB/s as expected ( two 1G coppers used ).

Setting up Adaptec ASR71605Q with one SSD used as maxCache was little tricky.

Hope this post will help anyone.

Thanks Tom,
    this post really helps me. But my main problem besides the technical part is, that spending the money on open-e hoping they will release the update I am waiting for is like believing Bill Clinton that he had never... well you know.

I was assured the same kind of thing with iSCSI persistent locking for clustering in version 6. They promised they will getting it up soon. Well they did, 2years later and one release number higher (and gratefully take the money twice). I donīt want to pay for something twice again, that I only get once (hopefully if not at all).

So the result is open-e lost much of my confidence in them.

But I am glad to hear it works in beta at least

We have installed the beta 7.0up11.9102.8597 and I am trying to access Maxview web UI. Can anyone tell me what is the username/password?

Thanks!

Try:

User: aac
    Password: <<set from webGUI>>
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube