Visit Open-E website

Thread: Multihoming LAN Ports

Default Multihoming LAN Ports

We would like to use Open-E both for iSCSI and SMB on the same Host with different Volume Groups. For iSCSI we want to use IP Addresses outside the standard network range and in an own VLAN, which is best practice, but for SMB we would like to use the standard network range for the clients on this installation. With former installations this was not a problem, because we assign dedicated 1 Gig NICs for SMB and iSCSI, but in this case we use one Dual 10 Gig NIC, which is trunked and connected to two switches. So we have only one Bond with one IP Address.

Is there a way to use more than one IP Address on one interface in an Multihoming configuration ? This should be not a problem in a Linux based software and is also standard for other unified SAN solutions like NetApp. How can this be done with Open-E ?

DSS V7 does not offer this yet but we are looking into this to have in one of our future release and yes we know that you can do this with linux systems but in some cases it can be a bit more complicated with unified storage. Also we like to see bonds for NAS and MPIO for SANs in most cases.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

So that means you have to use two dual 10 Gig NICs and 4 10 Gig Ports on 10 Gig Switches at minimum if you want to use Open-E in a unified redundant NAS and SAN configuration based on 10 Gig ? We did that with 1 Gig installations, but the bandwidth with 10 Gig should be enough to omit the MPIO connections and use one bond with SAN and NAS for redundancy...Hope multihoming will arrive soon....

For the Replication I would directly connect the 10GbE NIC to each DSS and use the bond for the NAS and MPIO for the iSCSI.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by To-M View Post
    For the Replication I would directly connect the 10GbE NIC to each DSS and use the bond for the NAS and MPIO for the iSCSI.
    We don't use Replication at the moment, but in this case you have to use 3 10 Gbe NICS with 6 10 GBe ports to follow your logic. 2 Ports for MPIO, 2 for bonding and 2 for Replication....In times of 10 GBe it might be a bit oversized and expensive.... Multihoming seems to be the simpler solution for this case....

I wouldn't use 2 for the replication just one, and I would not let use the same NIC for NAS and iSCSI even with different IP's, seen to many evil things happen
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"