Visit Open-E website

Thread: Exomium S200 and DSS V6 and LSI 9265i and Cachecade -> Data corruption

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We have been working with the LSI Cachecade for a long time and have not heard of such an incident, we have the drivers inside of the DSS V6 and V7 but the drivers do not corrupt the data, this would be on the hardware side. The best would be to use the Snapshot function of the DSS and you can create tasks so that the Snapshot will be available for 3 weeks, so in the event your hardware has issues you can retrieve the data.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

We have many customers who runs LSI with Cashcade, and everything is working normal. It could be the Firmware build with your current controller causing this issue, or there is an issue with one of the disk(s).

In case if the data get corrupted on the Primary box, if the replication service kept running then the mirror will get corrupted too. Having Snapshots, Backup in such cases should help ( in some cases ).

Also you may find the following Forum link and KB useful for you:

http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.p...achecade-2-Pro
    http://kb.open-e.com/How-to-dramatic...ance_1293.html

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

I found in the meantime 3 more corrupted filesystems (1*HFS+, 2*SLES 11 SP2). Unfortunately I find this corruption only after rebooting the VMs.
    We have our production data on this box, so a snapshot and revert to snapshot for invoicing data, Mail server data etc. is maybe not the best idea.
    I added a 8 SSD drives to the box and moved the performance critical vmdks to this SSD datastore, the performance is now okay.
    Currently I see not way to perform more alpha tests with LSI cachecade, it took too much time and effort to repair the data, the risk to lose data
    is too high. To revert to a full backup after 3 weeks or more is usually not an option, to restore the data file by file and verify what's happened in between is maybe possible, but takes a lot of time.

Maybe anybody else can work with LSI to bring the software to a beta stage.

We will see who will complain in the next months.

Thanks
    Henri

Hi,

just got the message, that the issue was caused by an outdated MegaRAID driver, Revision 6.12 in the latest version of OPEN-V6,
    which does not support CacheCade.

Can you confirm this?

Thanks
    Henri

I'm sure if there is a new driver we can provide this in a small update (for Premium Support only), but is there release notes from LSI stating this that if you don't have the latest driver this can happen?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi To-M,

me intention was only to benefit by the performance improvement by Cachecade, "just to use".

The hardware vendor wrote me, the data corruption was caused by a outdated driver in OPEN-E (confirmed by OPEN-E). The driver 6.12 was released by LSI mid 2011, LSI CacheCade in Mar 2012. Therefor CacheCade is not supported at the driver version. LSI told him, if disabling Cachecade helped at data corruption, this is a indication of the kind of problems, both OPEN-E and LSI has confirmed the problem.

Just want to know if you can confirm this too (from the OPEN-E standpoint of view) and when a LSI CacheCade compatible version will be released by OPEN-E?

Currently I'am stuck at V6 because I have enabled the NFS HA feature. Is this in the meantime available in V7 (then I can upgrade)?
    Sorry, had more than enough trouble with this stuff.

Thanks
    Henri

to be precise, Cacheade Pro 2.0 released in Mar 2012.

Henri

FYI - LSI informed me that they have a new firmware release for the LSI 9265 > 5.8 codeset that was released on 9-23-2013
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

I moved the most important VMs to a additional SSD Raid5 Array and updated the DSS V6 to "6.0up99.8101.8328 64bit", even with the small update I ended at a old LSI driver version in V6 (2011 or so).
    Is it now safe to reenable CacheCade after updating the LSI FW to the most current level?
    Btw. if you confirm that the S200 box from xtivate.de is not certified, I will ask the guy why the sold me a S200 and 200.

Thanks
    Henri

Hi Henri,

We have 100's + different builds in testing so I am not sure about this build that you have "8328" as we try to stay with the official releases, currently there is still build "7337" now that is the latest build for V6. V7 release that came out has the latest drivers, small update for V6 would have to be created. So far I have not seen issues with the latest firmware from LSI for both V6 and or V7 so I would assume they have resolved it. I did not see xtivate.de on our list where they have done there certification with us as one of the Manufactures that are listed.
    http://www.open-e.com/partners/certified-systems/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"