Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exomium S200 and DSS V6 and LSI 9265i and Cachecade -> Data corruption

Yes, saw the email and saw what LSI stated that the release was in March of last year, so we did have the driver then as I did the video with LSI last year in March of the 28th. Again we get the drivers from LSI and have the small updates for them. Looks like you got the small updates already from Janusz.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default I've also had problems

Hi Henri,

I've also had massive problems with data-corruption on a production system. My setup is two DSS 7 boxes as an ISCSI SAN in an active/active fail-over / replication cluster. I think I've now narrowed the cause down to LSI firmware v23.16.0-0018 having a problem with the CacheCade write cache. With the cache turned off, or read only there is no issue. As soon as I set up a write cache my VM's start catastrophically corrupting, particularly after write intensive operations - e.g. Windows Updates. I lost about 20 production servers due to this - complete disaster.

Todd - I opened a support ticket #1035676 on 11th July with this issue so I'm surprised you say you aren't aware of this. I have had CacheCade up and running with no issues prior to this firmware upgrade, so it's true that it's generally very stable, but I'd strongly advise anyone running a CacheCade write cache not to upgrade to the latest firmware.

I'd agree with Todd that it's unlikely to be a driver issue as all the caching is handled by the RAID card and is invisible to the host system. However it seems odd that if you Google "23.16.0-0018 corruption" this thread is one of only two hits you get so I do wonder if there is something about the combination of this firmware and DSS that causes an issue. One would think that if the problem was more general LSI would be aware of the issue and would have pulled the firmware by now.

I'm still testing, but the problem does seem to go away if I revert to an older LSI firmware.

Tim

Henri,

This case of yours is being investigated by the QA team and we did contact LSI here in the USA and they do not know of any issues, they also wanted us or you to reproduce this and let them know. We have a huge customer base using them and I am not defending them just saying until we can prove it is LSI firmware and reproduce the issue then we can inform them. Also did you submit a support ticket with LSI about this? Again we get the drivers from them and until it is reproducible then I cant say it is for sure the driver or firmware.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

I can reproduce this. Roll back to the 23.12.0.0013 firmware and all is ok. If I move to the 23.16.0-0018 firmware the corruption starts happening again.

If there is anything I can do to help your investigations let me know ASAP, I'd be glad to help.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by HenriHoffmann View Post
    Hi,

habe here an SuperMicro with LSI based certified OPEN-E Exomium S200 box with a LSI 9265i (with batt. backup and Cachecade 2.0 Pro).
    Hello Henri,

I would like to correct your statement.
    Exomium S200 is not certified server with Open-E.

Regarding your case, our Development Team is working on it at the moment.

Tim,

I am sending this link to the LSI guys, did you show LSI your test results showing them this is issue? Seems our guys after testing believe they have reproduced the same issue.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks for the update Todd.

My conversation with LSI ended when they told me I should replace my SSDs with ones on their approved hardware list. Frankly I've not found their first line support very helpful. If their first line support aren't listening to their customers problems but are trying to find excuses for not helping then it doesn't surprise me it takes them weeks for them to recongise a problem with their firmware. Hopefully you'll be able to escalate this to someone who will take notice.

Glad you guys have been able to reproduce the issue, I was starting to think I was alone in having this problem.

Would appreciate any updates on this.

Thanks,

Tim

FYI - LSI informed me that they have a new firmware release for the LSI 9265 > 5.8 codeset that was released on 9-23-2013
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi Todd,

I moved the most important VMs to a additional SSD Raid5 Array and updated the DSS V6 to "6.0up99.8101.8328 64bit", even with the small update I ended at a old LSI driver version in V6 (2011 or so).
    Is it now safe to reenable CacheCade after updating the LSI FW to the most current level?
    Btw. if you confirm that the S200 box from xtivate.de is not certified, I will ask the guy why the sold me a S200 and 200.

Thanks
    Henri

Hi Henri,

We have 100's + different builds in testing so I am not sure about this build that you have "8328" as we try to stay with the official releases, currently there is still build "7337" now that is the latest build for V6. V7 release that came out has the latest drivers, small update for V6 would have to be created. So far I have not seen issues with the latest firmware from LSI for both V6 and or V7 so I would assume they have resolved it. I did not see xtivate.de on our list where they have done there certification with us as one of the Manufactures that are listed.
    http://www.open-e.com/partners/certified-systems/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"