Visit Open-E website

Thread: Removing user from default group

Default Removing user from default group

Hello,

I am testing users/groups access to shares, and got some troubles.

I'd like to setup users as :
    • user1 is member of group1
    • user2 is member of users

Problem 1 :
    By default, newly created users are always members of the default "users" group, the problem is that i can't remove "user1" from the "users" group because the web ui simply do nothing while i am moving the user from the "members" list to the "available" list.
    (The documentation (v1.15) do not speaks about this strange behavior)

Problem 2 :
    When "user1" from "group1" create some file or directory, it is created with the GID of the "users" group instead of the "group1" GID.

Problems 1 and 2 seems to be related, so could you suggest me the best way to obtain what i want ?

Thanks.

You can not delete this group it is a as a primary default group so there will be no modification for this area in near future. Here is a step-by-step guide below, this will be added to the FAQ.

-create new user
    -create new group
    -add this user to new group
    -change default group of this user (it is his primary group that cannot be removed)
    -remove user from users group

Users can be a member of many groups, but the most important is the
    default group. If you haven't changed default group from "users" to another
    group like yours "group1" you can't remove membership for group
    "users" as pointed out above.

Also in file/directory owner only default group will be seen.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Ok, i understand, it is my fault, i didn't see the "Default group" listbox in the "user" page.
    I just couldn't move user "user1" from the group "users" because the "users" group was it's default group.
    Maybe a dialog box saying "you cannot remove this user from this group because it is it's default group" should have put me on the way... (Even if it is obvious, the doc do not speak about this feature).

But this feature is really improved in DSS compared to NAS-XSR, nice.
    Some problems i had solved by resetting ACL will go away with the "Default group" feature.

Thanks.

We don't look at it as who's fault it is we look at it as how can we help . As you have DSS you will see the big benefits you will inherit with future release this summer (I can not announce them here).

Maybe in Q4 we will concentrate on the documentation, but for now we have so many requests for large orders we have to focus on these first, then later for others.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube