Visit Open-E website

Thread: iSCSI HBAs & virtual IP addresses

Question iSCSI HBAs & virtual IP addresses

Hi,
    With an active-active iscsi setup, I see that it is "highly advised" to put the the virtual IP for each resource group in its own IP subnet and both different from the subnet the hosts have on that network.
    When using software initiaor on vmware or hyper-v, it is easy to assign an IP address in each of these ranges to a network adapter, so aside from a complex mpio setup this is going to work fine.

However I was planning on using hardware iSCSI HBAs (HP VirtualConnect on BL460c G7 blades) and I don't see the option to configure multiple IPs on the adapter configuration either in vmware or through the Windows configuration utility.
    From what I can find it seems to be default behaviour that you can only enter one IP address in one IP range on an iscsi HBA, so how can I combine this with an Open-e HA iscsi solution?

Best regards,
    DavyP

Each connection needs to be a physical path, you can not virtualize the IP on top of another. If configuring active/passive, your configuration can work. For active/active you will need more physical connections.