Visit Open-E website

Thread: V7 Lite - Supermicro x9sbaa-f - will not boot

Default V7 Lite - Supermicro x9sbaa-f - will not boot

installing the latest download of v7 lite (9-30-13 i believe) on a new supermicro server and can't get the OS to boot.
    Install hangs on "accept" screen. no input possible thru usb or using virtual keyboard in IPMI.
    so we installed the OS on another computer to the satadom and moved it into the supermicro. still will not boot. IF it makes it to loading the kernel at all - it hangs and dies at 97%. also takes about 2 hours to even get to 97%

here's the relevant specs i think might be causing the issues.
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...9/x9sbaa-f.cfm - the motherboard in question.
    we thought the first one they shipped us was DOA - we got it replaced with another new one and the problem remains.

Marvell 88SE9230 sata 3 controller - is this even supported yet? shouldn't it be transparent if there's no raid configured and it remains JBOD.

Renesas uPD720201 usb3.0 - there's only usb 3.0 ports on this device. but i would imagine the XHCI handoff should allow it to register even as a 2.0 device. I've tested this with an old version of partition magic (linux recovery cd) and every thing lights off and i have keyboard and mouse. i can see the drives and they will partition and initialize.

kind of at a loss.. this is the first supermicro product we've ever had an issue with.
    any one have any suggestions on how to get past the boot issue on this mobo? is there any settings in the bios i should look out for?

try the full trial version and see if you get further. Marvell RAID is not supported in Lite version
    USB 3..0 is not supported by DSS, you can try setting the BIOS to legacy and see if it helps.

Is there any plans on including the marvell raid chip in lite? we've already purchased a storage extension for this install.

is there a way to turn the full version back into a lite and use the keys we've already obtained - or am i stuck at 60 day trial?

You can see a comparison of Lite vs Full here: http://www.open-e.com/products/open-...tware-v7-lite/
    Hardware RAID is not supported in Lite version.
    To go back to the Lite version, a new install will need to be performed.
    It would be best to call your sales person, and see what it will take to upgrade your extension and have it applied to a full version.

so even though the devices are not configured in a raid array - just attached thru sata - lite will not load properly?
    these are the only sata ports available on this device - it uses that chip just for straight sata support.
    so do most of the new supermicro products now. you're saying we can't use lite on any of the upcoming supermicro products just because of this chipset?

why are other versions of linux from years ago able to load up just fine and use the disks and not open-e.

like i said - i don't have anything configured as raid. it's just the chipset this device uses for normal sata operations.

also - you guys really need to put in usb 3.0 support in - it' been out for how long now?

try checking in the BIOS settings for IDE compatibility or something similar. Try AHCI mode.
    The Lite version has some abilities removed, and why its free, and called Lite version.