Visit Open-E website

Thread: Default disk timeout setting

Default Default disk timeout setting

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew the default disk timeout settings in open-e v7?
    And if there's any way to adjust these settings?

I'm asking because we are running open-e as a virtual storage appliance in a vmware vm for testing purposes.
    The installation of vmware tools raises the disktimeout to 180 seconds., but obviously this isn't possible in open-e.

Cheers,
    Peter

Interesting, I never had this topic come up before. There is nothing on the DSS side for what values but after researching there is a way with VMware to increase or decrease the settings especially with Linux OS VM's and DSS is Linux under the hood. Hope it helps.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1009465
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

The 'default disk timeout' which is that if a disk is not responding or is in a search-loop or whatever is 7 sec. by default. You can configure this in your RAID controller. When the disk gives several timeouts it it thrown out of the RAID Array as 'FAILED'.
    Even Solid State Drives (SSDs) can raise timeouts, I've seen this several times.

Some people configure the timeout to 8sec. instead of 7 sec. so the disks are not thrown out of the array that much.. However, raising the timeout setting might slow down your overall RAID performance. Even a (SATA/SAS) bus errors can cause timeouts.

The timeouts you mention are regarding to VMWare and I even think the VM itself.

Does VMWare disable the iscsi path/resource after the timeout or does the Windows server gives a blue screen after the timeout?
    Roel Broersma is founder and technical consultant at www.Gigaweb.nl. Expert in Storage solutions based on DELL, OpenFiler, Open-E and more. New installations, troubleshooting and custom work. See my life and technical blog at: www.roelbroersma.nl

OECE - Open-E Certified Engineer