Visit Open-E website

Thread: NTFS permission inheritance!

Default NTFS permission inheritance!

Hello!
    I have DSS V6 version 6.0up65.8101.5214 64bit.
    DSS is connected to Windows domain!
    I have problems with permissions inheritance:
    I have made a share - there is many directories in Share and every directory have another user groups. Access permissions is given from DSS administration panel. When permissions is given - all works fine - users which have rights can acess the folder, and copy data in it. From DSS admin panel rights is assigned correctly, but when I look at rights from windows workstation i see that users have rights to "this folder only" and if one user creates folder - other users from group which have permissions to main folder, dont have access to newly created folder.

This threat makes me angry!

Is there any solution?

Try to use the ACL function in the DSS located in the GUI CONFIGURATION -> NAS resources -> Function: ACL (Access control list). More information on this topic is located in the manual in section of ACL.

In brief:

In order to assign ACL permissions:

• select a folder or a file,
    • click the Users & Groups tab,
    • select which users or groups will be assigned access permissions,
    • click the Access Permissions tab,
    • select user ([U]) or group ([G]) or User(owner) or Group(owner),
    • check the appropriate boxes under Access Permissions,
    • click Apply.

Examples: Example 1.
    This example presents a situation in which User1 has read access permissions for directory A only and does not have access permissions for subdirectory B at all.
    A User1 r-x
    B User1 ---
    Example 2.
    User1 has access permission only for reading for directory A. Can enter sub directory B, but no files are visible.
    A User1 r-x
    B User1 --x
    Example 3.
    User1 can enter the subdirectory C and can read and write files within that subdirectory.
    A User1 r-x
    B User1 --x
    C User1 rwx
    Note
    Designating the user as a superuser within the SMB settings function will automatically assign all access permissions to that user.
    Assigned access permissions will be available under sFTP, FTP, SMB and AFP network protocols.
    User(owner) or Group(owner) can also have access permissions assigned. These permissions may be different from the ones assigned to the same user in the Users/Groups list.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube