Visit Open-E website

Thread: Unable to manage RAID tools on new HP DL380p Gen8, controller software too new?

Exclamation Unable to manage RAID tools on new HP DL380p Gen8, controller software too new?

Hi, Just setting a trial up of V7 with an HP DL380p Gen8 with the P420i controller, already configured 2 large RAID6 arrays with the built in provisioning.

But when going into the ACU CLI and trying to get any details from the controller we just get this message below:

=> ctrl all show config

Smart Array P420i in Slot 0 (Embedded)

APPLICATION UPGRADE REQUIRED: This controller has been configured with a more
    recent version of software.
    To prevent data loss, configuration changes to
    this controller are not allowed.
    Please upgrade to the latest version to be able
    to continue to configure this controller.

Anything we can do to be able to manage the RAID? Otherwise we're a bit stuck!

Cheers

Jools

Did you try to go into the Console Screen of the DSS and enter CTRL + ALT + R to gain access to the RAID controller?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Yes, that is where the HP ACU CLI is.

That's where if you run any standard commands to get info about the controller or arrays you get the 'too new' message.

I'm especially concerned that if we have a drive failure then it won't get reported to us as DSS won't know about it?

We have the latest drivers for the HP the DSS v.7.00 up12 10529 Release date: 2014-02-21. Are you on the latest Firmware on the controller?

* Driver for HP Smart Array controllers (cciss, v.4.6.28-22)
    * Driver for HP Smart Array controllers (hpsa, v.3.4.2-5)
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Both systems have been updated through the Gen8 provisioning at boot time to the latest HP firmware. We're also on latest build of DSS V7 as above.

When we go into RAID tools for HP Smart Array this is what we get:

HP Array Configuration Utility CLI 9.30.15.0
    Detecting Controllers...Done.
    Type "help" for a list of supported commands.
    Type "exit" to close the console.

=> ctrl all show

Smart Array P420i in Slot 0 (Embedded)

APPLICATION UPGRADE REQUIRED: This controller has been configured with a more
    recent version of software.
    To prevent data loss, configuration changes to
    this controller are not allowed.
    Please upgrade to the latest version to be able
    to continue to configure this controller.

=>

Should we downgrade the controller firmware so it matches the software install in DSS? If so do you know what version is correct?

I can check on Monday what specific firmware version is installed on the controllers.

Cheers

Jools
    Last edited by joolsc; 03-01-2014 at 12:09 AM.

Check your email - as I want to get the log file from the DSS and have you send them to our support team.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Sorry for the delay in getting the details, busy busy

Model: HP Smart Array P420i Controller
    Firmware Version: 4.68

Is on both our units. I've not received any emails from anyone?

Check you email in your forum inbox.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Ok, We managed to open a ticket with support on this issue and unless you have premium support this doesn't look like it'll be fixed anytime soon.

So just a heads-up to anyone looking at a new Gen8 HP server with the new 400 and I'm guessing 800 series RAID controllers.

It appears to be triggering events on drive failures etc. so at least we'll know if a drive fails, but we have no way of being able to manage other than having to break the HA and boot a node into the HP provisioning tools.

Please remove hpacu from the server and install/use hpssacli. It only means that the raid was configured using the latest smart storage administrator instead of the older array configuration utility. You can get the hpssa from the supporr site.

This issue is seen when the raid is configured using the latest intelligent provisioning which has smart storage administrator inbuilt.