Visit Open-E website

Thread: Data Deduplicaton Tiered Storage?

Default Data Deduplicaton Tiered Storage?

I was looking for a list of feature sets and didn't see anything specifically listed in regards to data deduplication and was wondering if this feature is on the slate to or if I just missed it, I would almost expect this feature to co-exist with a VTL option. Something implemented in software would seem perfect for you product/s and would also be great for a tiered arcitecture.

Speaking of; is there any way to implement a tiered architecture?

Either by using different local storage arrays to the NAS/SAN presented as part of the same LUN but maybe comprising different diskgroups where the inactive data (as defined by the admin per LUN?) is moved to the 2nd tier storage automatically.

Or support of slaving another system with larger disks but slower spindles for use as tired storage to the master system again virtually presented to make up part of the LUN presented to the master/tier1 NAS/SAN.

For feature listings please refer to the link below.

http://www.open-e.com/dss/data_stora...&show=features

We do have a full version Backup feature that provides physical and VTL functions and Data Replication. Use the Data Replication for the NAS Logical Volume shares to synchronize with another DSS server designated as the destination. I suggest downloading the DSS Demo-CD to review and test your specific implementations.

http://www.open-e.com/data_storage_s...l_cd_downloads

You can have multiple RAID controllers with specific RAID sets for your Volume Group functions. For example:

Unit S0 (RAID controller 0 - RAID 5 with 24 drives)
    Volume Group - VG00 specifically used for iSCSI Logical Volumes (Targets and Volume Replication – Source to Destination)

Units S1 (RAID controller 1 - RAID 6 with 24 drives)
    Volume Group - VG01 specifically used for NAS Logical Volumes (Shares and Data Replication – Source to Destination)
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I'm not sure that the above answers my question exactly of course I could be having a "slow" day.

Data Deduplication is much like single instance messaging but for files sometimes referred to as intelligent compression or single instance storage. This can track and index bit/level, block/level changes and applies one or more algorithms to detect changes so only the delta to for a file is captured rather than an entire new file being saved.

The other question is more about file management and if I can Define one presented storage group (VG i think in the product terminology) The VG would be made up of 1 or more raid set for the total space.

VolumeGroup0
    DiskGroup0 Raid10 with 24x73GB 15K RPM drives
    DiskGroup1 Raid5 with 5x500GB 7200RPM drives

In this case a total of 2.8TB will be available but "active" files would reside on the raid10 and inactive files would be moved to the slower raid5.

*alternatlivly DiskGroup1 could "virtual" as in a volume to which data is replicated to from unit1 to a VG on unit2 while any references to files moved based on the ageing algorithm would redirect the client the file located on unit2.

This gets more into data lifecycle management but an addition of something like this, even if a simple implimentation, would drastically increase the value of the product.

No – you are not having a "slow" day. This was my miss interpretation. (Dyslexia have I).

Ok, Deduplication also known as de-duplication and "commonality factoring," "single-instance storage" or "intelligent compression (as you have stated)"
    No we do not have this feature as of yet. Although after we complete some of the other larger projects with DSS (to be announced in August) this will be researched and planned with our software engineers to schedule a deadline.
    Concerning the file management, again we will not be able to provide this.
    Unfortunately we do not have both of these features. I have forward your file management inquirie to our software engineers to see if this is on our road map as you are correct this would increase the product value and we could charge more to pay for the development of these features (like NetApp). But then we would get hate mail. Great questions, wish I had more to offer .
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    No – you are not having a "slow" day. This was my miss interpretation. (Dyslexia have I).

Ok, Deduplication also known as de-duplication and "commonality factoring," "single-instance storage" or "intelligent compression (as you have stated)"
    No we do not have this feature as of yet. Although after we complete some of the other larger projects with DSS (to be announced in August) this will be researched and planned with our software engineers to schedule a deadline.
    Concerning the file management, again we will not be able to provide this.
    Unfortunately we do not have both of these features. I have forward your file management inquirie to our software engineers to see if this is on our road map as you are correct this would increase the product value and we could charge more to pay for the development of these features (like NetApp). But then we would get hate mail. Great questions, wish I had more to offer .
    No worries I appreciate your candor in your reply. I still think this by all indications is really great product and since I have several build outs will continue to kinda nudge the features that I will be looking for my implementations. I have to consider both of these needs as they reduce overall cost to the organization which we are very aware of right now. That being said since they do reduce storage costs in the long run I think initial investment to get these features would defiantly be worth it at least when it comes down to what I'm purchasing for the company... my lab needs are less demanding atm.

Please keep nudging the ideas and suggestions, even though we are a small company we really strive to keep up with evolution and quality engineers like yourselves help us become better. You are so correct that Deduplication will be such a valuable asset to have along with clustering (rescheduled and no set date) that we are putting this on the design table. Companies are only great when they listen to there customers! Thanks!!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Wanted to provide an update to this subject on Deduplication - We can push to have this available but we will need some PO's to get it done. So you have more then one need for DSS let us know or if others will start requiring this to be done before purchasing several at one time then this can happen rapidly!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"